Author Topic: English  (Read 6106 times)

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
English
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »
This thread is for discussions relating to the subject of English, you may also post your work here and any other material that you believe may help you or others revise for any tests or exams. (However even if you don't have exams, don't be afraid to visit and discuss, learning isn't restricted to school, yanno?)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:13:28 AM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Re: English
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »
Learn how to become a grammar nazi here.

Offline Noob

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
I can help with this.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ie

"Alot" is not a word; it's "a lot." http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

"Of course" is two words, not like "ofcourse."

"At least" is two words, not like "atleast."

"Good luck" is two words, not "goodluck."

"Thank you" is two words, not "thankyou."

Capitalise your "I."

Don't use an apostrophe for something plural. It's companies, not company's, and so on. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

"Anyways" Is not a word; it is simply "Anyway."

It's separate, not seperate.

"Hbu" Is very annoying.

It's weird, not wierd.

Please learn to use the correct your/you're. Your is possessive, "I like your shirt." You're is you are. It's a contraction, "You're beautiful; if you're going to..." One thing that I notice lots is that people say "your welcome." It's "you're welcome."

It's allowed, not aloud, unless you are talking about sound. "I said that word aloud." "This is not allowed."

It's bear with me, not bare with me.

There is a difference between "its" and "it's." Its is possessive, "The dog ate its food." it's means it is, a contraction, "It's not very hard to differentiate between 'its' and 'it's'."

There are differences between to, too and two. To is used like "I went to the store." It's a verb. Too is "I had too much to drink." Two is the number, "I have two cats."

There are differences between there, their and they're. There is "The cat is over there." or something like "There are three pens over there" their is possessive, "Their phones are over there." they're means they are, it's a contraction. "They're so dumb."

Capitalizing every letter in a sentence is annoying and shouldn't be done.

Don't overuse the word 'like' in a sentence.

It's 'sentence', not 'sentance'.

There is a difference between effect and affect; effect is "There are many side effects to using drugs." Affect is a verb, "I was affected by my mom dying."

It's must have, not must of.

It's should have, not should of.

It's "Dying" not "dieng."

The difference between "were" and "we're" is that "were" is used like "we were at the store yesterday." "We're" is "We are." "We're going to go to the store tomorrow"

The difference between 'who's' and 'whose' is that who's is "who is." "Who's there?" and whose is possessive, "Whose car is that?"

It's implement, not implant when you want something added in-game.

It's "You" not "u"

It's definitely. Not definately. Not definatly. Not definantly. Not definetly. Not definently.

"I could care less" can be easily misused to mean "I couldn't care less," but it can be used correctly in a different context. If you initially show some interest in a subject, then quickly get annoyed by the other person's rambling about the subject, then you could correctly say, "Look, I could care less."

There is a difference between "lose" and "loose." "Because your belt is loose, you will probably lose your pants." "I hope that I don't lose my iPod Touch."

It's "maybe," not "maby, meybe, meyby, mehbe, maybee," or however else people spell it.

There is a difference between "then" and "than." "Then" shows time, "I went to the store and then to the move theatre." Than is for comparative statements, "He is better at soccer than I, or he is taller than I am."

You don't say less than when you are talking about countable objects; you say fewer. "Less than 100 players" is incorrect; "Fewer than 100 players" is correct.

Comma splice: don't link two independent sentences with a comma without a conjunction. Use a conjunction, or else use a semicolon or period instead.

It's thieve, not theive. "I am a thief and I will thieve you.".

It's receive, not recieve.

It's mischief, not mischeif.

It's in-game, not ingame.

It's "Ross' bike", not "Ross's bike".

It's "milk, bread and cheese," not "milk, bread, cheese" or "milk, bread, and cheese."

I'm expecting lots of trolls and lots of haters. I realise that there are errors in this post.

---------------------------------------------
I realise that most people don't care, but could you at least make an effort? Many people use the argument "It's the Internet, who cares?". Some people actually do.

I also realise that there are errors in this post.[/font]

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:24:37 AM »
I wrote this as my creative piece for English A-Level, it acts as lost chapter to the famous modernist novel "Heart of Darkness", taking place 18 years after its conclusion. I was under a 850 word constraint, which is why it is so short.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:57:51 AM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline Apokura

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 79
    Defense: 68
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 6
  • What a horrible night to have a curse!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:44:23 AM »
I wrote this as my creative piece for English A-Level, it acts as lost chapter to the famous novel "Heart of Darkness", taking place 18 years after its conclusion. I was under a 850 word constraint, which is why it is so short.
(click to show/hide)
I'd read t, but I've never read the famous novel you're talking about, sorry.
(click to show/hide)
Just wondering, is the less/fewer thing wrong, or is it an actual rule or something?
Also, the heck is an hbu?

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »
I'd read t, but I've never read the famous novel you're talking about, sorry.
Well, I meant famous within the literary world. Though I'll admit I'd never heard of it myself until my English teacher insisted that it was a very important modernist novel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal