Author Topic: Nintendo vs. Sony vs. Microsoft  (Read 6440 times)

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
Nintendo vs. Sony vs. Microsoft
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
Oh please, reader. Arpegi came from a videogame website. You know this was inevitable.

Anyway....

VOTE AWAY!

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Re: Nintendo vs. Sony vs. Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
I'm happy there was an option that fit my opinion ;D

Offline shredc0re

• Mythical Member
  • Attack: 62
    Defense: 61
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »
I, myself, refuse to compare the Nintendo consoles with both XBOX or PS. Because Nintendo operates on a different kind of view (to put it blunt, they don't give a fuck about graphics and shit) and my opinion is that Nintendo is good whatever they do.

But on PS4 and Xbox 1. Let's just say that PS4 has 'owned' XBOX1 on many levels, but there's still good ideas in both of the consoles.

Offline senpai_FisT

• Übermensch
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 15
  • can'twakeup.png
      • Rock'n'RollFisto!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
mufufufufufu

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »
I, myself, refuse to compare the Nintendo consoles with both XBOX or PS. Because Nintendo operates on a different kind of view (to put it blunt, they don't give a fuck about graphics and shit) and my opinion is that Nintendo is good whatever they do.

But on PS4 and Xbox 1. Let's just say that PS4 has 'owned' XBOX1 on many levels, but there's still good ideas in both of the consoles.
I agree with you, actually. It's just that the WiiU, PS4 and Xbox One are often huddled up together as next-gen consoles. So yeah. I had to include them in the list.

Anyway, Microsoft really took a huge step backwards in their reputation. There weren't much highlights but "TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, Colla Doody, Dogs.". Hell, they screwed up on the Call of Duty. Why highlight a game that's multiplatform? Unless they suddenly decided it to be an exclusive, which would make it worse. :\

PS4? Haven't seen much, actually. But from what I've read from PS3Hax and Wikipedia, it's actually pretty neat. A no DRM Policy? Region-free? Yeah, it's one big slap on the face to Microsoft.

I'm happy that you're happy, man. Oh hell, we're all happy! BRING THE BOOBS!

Offline shredc0re

• Mythical Member
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
Well, they are all next-gen consoles. But next-gen doesn't necessarily mean that they have improved graphics etc. Next-gen, for Nintendo, is that they add new functions (you can say Nintendo is a pioneer there).

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
The Wii U. I was never fond of Sony and Microsoft. Except the PS2 & PSP.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
The simple fact of the matter is that this is a gaming console war, and strangely enough Xbox One brought nothing special to the table within the gaming area than its competitors. It focused too much on social media and the integration of that into the gaming experience, while neglecting the gaming experience. PS4 was the one that didn't miss the point and actually developed a gaming console that was built for gaming, and gaming was always its highlight. It has slightly better specs, better features and the titles that are coming out are simply the last nail in the coffin for Xbox One.

Nintendo on the other hand, even though it cannot be compared to its titan brethren, I think its worth saying that the WiiU has been selling pretty poorly, so yeah, even in that respect Nintendo isn't living up to expectation and its lack of creativity is on par with Microsoft. The only thing that can dig itself out of the dirt is the fanboy loyalty and repetitive gaming titles that cause peoples jubblies to jiggle.

PS4 is the only clear winner if you're going for a gaming console. If you want a social media console, Xbox One. If you want a really pointless console, Wii U.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:46:01 PM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
Wii U, pointless? I disagree.

What new experience does the PS4 bring to the table? Only better specs from what I'm reading.
The Wii U, while selling poorly, gives you a new tablet to play your Wii games when somebody wants to watch TV and it gives player new opportunities.

Remember the Wii at the start? Many people said it was only a gimmick and it will never catch on. But look now, it made Nintendo millions.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=6741460

It's not fair if you only look to the specs good sir. What are you with better specs if it's the same experience? Again shooting dudes, over and over again? Nintendo manages to bring something new to the table, while it isn't a big revolution to draw people in, it's enough to make the Wii U anything but pointless!

To be fair, you are right here. They only now catch up to the HD gaming market. To add to Shreddy's point... What are you with good graphics when its just the same thing all over again?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:58:10 PM by NekoJonez » »

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
What new experience does the PS4 bring to the table? Only better specs from what I'm reading.
And that's what's giving the two titans the edge in the market. And one of them is falling.

The Wii U, while selling poorly, gives you a new tablet to play your Wii games when somebody wants to watch TV and it gives player new opportunities.
Note:
Selling poorly. Why? Down below VVV
Remember the Wii at the start? Many people said it was only a gimmick and it will never catch on. But look now, it made Nintendo millions.
It was the main feature of the Wii that was easily duplicated by the PS Move and (maybe) the Xbox Kinect. After those two were released in the market, there was nothing Nintendo could give except perhaps their first-party games and a few exclusives that, while unquestionably of high quality, were limited in numbers. So yes, in

You know what? Screw my argument. It made no sense. :|
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:12:59 PM by BloodcatNS » »

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Wii U, pointless? I disagree.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=6741460

It's not fair if you only look to the specs good sir. What are you with better specs if it's the same experience? Again shooting dudes, over and over again? Nintendo manages to bring something new to the table, while it isn't a big revolution to draw people in, it's enough to make the Wii U anything but pointless!

Comparing the Wii to the Wii U is a big mistake. For one, the Wii was revolutionary, the Wii U was very underwhelming and it was hardly much of a technological leap. The Wii raked in millions, the Wii U is barely scraping by now. On its own, the Wii U simply cannot hold its own against the newer consoles, because they offer so much more than more advanced graphics.

and Nintendo bringing something new to the table? HAHAHA, that's a joke. Especially if you say "shooting dudes over and over again" as if Nintendo isn't the culprit of milking a series so much for so long that I seriously wish they could let a series die for once. They don't bring much to the table in terms of creativity, oh a new mario game? luigi game? maybe a new Zelda? Super smash bros? Maybe once Nintendo stops clinging to its most favored franchises and steps out of its comfort zone and starts investing in some potential new talent, then I'll give it recognition. At least the PS4 is going to do that with its indie titles.

Sure Sony has had its bad luck with games these days, but they do what Nintendo doesn't. Grow a pair and experiment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:10:45 PM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline senpai_FisT

• Übermensch
    Attack Member
  • can'twakeup.png
      • Rock'n'RollFisto!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
And that's what's giving the two titans the edge in the market. And one of them is falling.

Specs in a console is mostly useless unless we're talking about exclusives.

Most multi platform games are reduced in quality to perform well in the lesser of the two consoles.

GTA V will be optimized to play well in the less powerful X1, and all that "edge" the PS4 has goes to waste.

And the thing is more than 80% of the Xbox/PS games are multiplatform.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
are you implying that multiplatform games will have the same visual quality on every console it features on?

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
are you implying that multiplatform games will have the same visual quality on every console it features on?
Doubt it. If I had to pick Skyrim!360 or Skyrim!PS3, I would definitely pick the former.

Anyway, my point is the consoles are built differently, and thus, may not be COMPLETELY compatible to one of them. Either visually or some other way...-ly.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:35:12 PM by BloodcatNS » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Specs in a console is mostly useless unless we're talking about exclusives.

Most multi platform games are reduced in quality to perform well in the lesser of the two consoles.

GTA V will be optimized to play well in the less powerful X1, and all that "edge" the PS4 has goes to waste.

And the thing is more than 80% of the Xbox/PS games are multiplatform.

Yush. Thanks FiST I actually haven't thought of that. That's very true.

It was the main feature of the Wii that was easily duplicated by the PS Move and (maybe) the Xbox Kinect. After those two were released in the market, there was nothing Nintendo could give except perhaps their first-party games and a few exclusives that, while unquestionably of high quality, were limited in numbers.

You know what? Screw my argument. It made no sense. :|

Nah, it does make sense. Xbox recently released a tablet that has the similar features to the Wii U tablet idea. I forgot what it's called but I heard it in one of the latest MindCrack Podcasts. With Forza, you can see the map of the race.

There is also a bit of logic behind it? Only if they have a big team, and they can work on the code with two teams, well them things can look better on one console. But sometimes they don't have either the money nor the time nor the will to do the effort. They want the game out.

And it would be annoying to the helpdesk too since then you might end up with two different games. For creating updates, that will be a major pain. If you think about it from the developer point of view, it might actually be true. (Notice, I used might)

Offline senpai_FisT

• Übermensch
    Attack Member
  • can'twakeup.png
      • Rock'n'RollFisto!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »

When it comes to Xbox/PS, yes.

The only difference when it came immediate visuals was how sharp/smooth the visuals were. Xbox had AMD based GPU which handled anti aliasing poorly, hence the reason why Xbox games looks more "sharp" compared to the Nvidia based PS3, which had "smoother" visuals.

Now that they both use similar GPU, games are going to look more or less the same. The real "edge" the PS4 has is it's memory.

EDIT: Also, we should be more worried about the games themselves instead of the consoles.

EDIT2: Replaced "crisp" with "sharp" so as not to confuse.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:55:33 PM by FiST » »

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
The Wii U just didn't bring enough to the table to match the innovation the Wii brought. To most, it would be a worthless investment seeing that the Wii was usually a secondary console.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »
My biggest point here is the audience.

Depending on personal preference you are going to make your opinion.

Longevity isn't an excuse for its poor sales, it had a short-lived burst in sales and then quickly declined. Just admit it, the Wii sold really well, the Wii U didn't. Look it up.

Of course, that's typical in selling graphs. The early adapters and such.

The tablet was something that literally nobody asked for, its essentially a fix for something that was not broken to begin with. I know lots of people with a Wii that have no such desire for a Wii U, simply because it holds no real value. What about the Wii U makes you think "The Wii isn't enough for me". Nothing, literally nothing. You can have a Wii and not have a Wii U have still have roughly the same experience. But yes, the PS4 controller has nothing particularly special that the other competitors offer, but that doesn't make the Wii U's defense any more strong, plus the PS4 has more going for it than its controller. In fact that's the first time I even thought about it.

The flaw of the Wii U is that it isn't enough from what Nintendo is capable.

But the first argument, I think you are nitpicking there way too much. Since who asked for the Wii? It's a bit pointless to argue that way >.<

And don't forget that the Wii U has also more then just it's tablet :P

Yeah, you are totally right with those titles. However how long have they been going? Certainly not as long as Nintendo's titles that should have died long ago, maybe we have Nintendo to thank for these abominations. Bad influence.
You count how many games that have Mario in the title and come back to me and say that Nintendo isn't the worst. I dare you.

No arguing there, that Mario is milked out. But in your original argument you said giving room for indy games. Well, Nintendo can't make those since they make AAA titles.

Yet, let's compare it to the animation industry. Where I'm going here is Mickey Mouse. That hasn't died out hasn't it? But what's milking out? I don't think a series like Zelda is milked out.

What Nintendo does is easily compared with Disney, well not 100% also (ugh, I hate myself for saying that.) They slap their mascots also on everything. Therefor other things get overlooked like Kid Icarus or Earthbound.

Plus some series that should have died or died, return. Take Wolvenstein.

A dull read. Certainly not worth my time. Especially since the author says "a die hard Nintendo gamer" in his description. Couldn't be more biased.

As amateur blogger, I totally agree that it's badly written. Yet, he manages to bring up some good points.
So a TL;DR:

He points out that the milking out argument of milking out from Nintendo isn't as big as you think. Compared to Sony & Microsoft.

Then he breaks the myth that there is no innovation between the Nintendo sequels. Ask Toffee for example, there is a lot of difference between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. He starts comparing the games with the next entry in the series and gives some nice examples that there is a lot of difference in between each entry.

And then he talks about new IP's. I skimmed that part mostly, but I have to say about that is this. For new idea's like a Mystery Dungeon game, they take an already existing IP to boost sales. If I wasn't a Pokémon fan, I wouldn't have bought Mystery Dungeon. Plus, it's for the kids to recognize. Like: "Hey mommy, Pikachu is on that box. I love Pikachu, can I have it pleeeeeeeeease?"

Luigi's Mansion is another nice example.

Nintendo doesn't make up a lot of new characters for their new IP's, I give you that. Yet, they DO make new IP's yet, they don't create new characters.

After that, he goes rambling about the milking of the Mario series. And I didn't bother reading that bit. Nintendo milks out the Mario character in my view. End of the line. Each year we have at least 2-3 games with Mario in it. A bit too much if you ask me.

And in the final part of his article he makes a conclusion that doesn't make a summary of it at all. "Haters gonna hate." Sign of bad writing there.

Xbox One still has COD and yet countless fans have switched over to the PS4. Unlike Nintendo, Sony uses its technological superiority be the main selling point, rather than over hyped titles. At the end of Xbox One's first showing, they tried to hype up the crowd with the new COD, did it work? Nope, because people know better than that. Well, hopefully at least most do.

Let's replace CoD with Halo in my argument. How many Halo fans will buy the new XBox One for that Halo game? A lot for sure.

The Wii U just didn't bring enough to the table to match the innovation the Wii brought. To most, it would be a worthless investment seeing that the Wii was usually a secondary console.

If I didn't had to write a long reply for Powy, then I was saying that before you.

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
http://gotgame.com/2013/05/09/got-game-truth-machine-does-nintendo-really-milk-their-franchises/
Uncharted is- wha? It's anything BUT milked, damnit. :(

The guy seriously doesn't know about Naughty Dog's (recently broken, maybe.) tradition of releasing a trilogy of games and one spin-off per console. So the Crash Bandicoot game from PSOne was milked? Hell fucking no, it was legendary in it's third game and still brilliant in its cart spin-off. Same with the Jak series from PS2.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »
http://gotgame.com/2013/05/09/got-game-truth-machine-does-nintendo-really-milk-their-franchises/
Uncharted is- wha? It's anything BUT milked, damnit. :(

The guy seriously doesn't know about Naughty Dog's (recently broken, maybe.) tradition of releasing a trilogy of games and one spin-off per console. So the Crash Bandicoot game from PSOne was milked? Hell fucking no, it was legendary in it's third game and still brilliant in its cart spin-off. Same with the Jak series from PS2.
You misunderstood his logic. He looks at the amount of entries. x)

Offline shredc0re

• Mythical Member
    Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/8LKZW6o.png

Throwing this in here, just never mind at the 3rd part since this is about consoles.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
I wont rely to the long wall of text since the format is starting to annoy me. In essence my argument is simply stating that in terms of technological advancement, Nintendo has yet to up the bar. They're sitting softly on their Wii U and Wii which are not selling as well as they used to, that isn't enough, especially when Sony and Microsoft are hop, skipping and jumping through the technology. Nintendo's hardware isn't even special anymore, PS has the Move and Xbox has the connect. You have to admit that the Wii is slowly fading into the shadows. There is some innovation, but simply not enough to be worth it.

In regards to the titles, sure, all consoles are subject to milking. However Nintendo makes it much more obvious for themselves and spends less time advertising the games that actually deserve to be advertised. Who needs to promote Mario? By now it should be promoting itself by its very existence. Nintendo needs to get its shit together and start marketing correctly. I read over what I wrote and it sounds like I hate Nintendo, I don't, it's simply that the company really rubs its own face in the dirt and expects everyone to appreciate them for who they really are. If they don't show me, I won't know.

Offline shredc0re

• Mythical Member
    Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »
Oh and,

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Oh and,

(click to show/hide)
Actually, this is an amazing summery of the whole debate.

I wont rely to the long wall of text since the format is starting to annoy me. In essence my argument is simply stating that in terms of technological advancement, Nintendo has yet to up the bar. They're sitting softly on their Wii U and Wii which are not selling as well as they used to, that isn't enough, especially when Sony and Microsoft are hop, skipping and jumping through the technology. Nintendo's hardware isn't even special anymore, PS has the Move and Xbox has the connect. You have to admit that the Wii is slowly fading into the shadows. There is some innovation, but simply not enough to be worth it.

In regards to the titles, sure, all consoles are subject to milking. However Nintendo makes it much more obvious for themselves and spends less time advertising the games that actually deserve to be advertised. Who needs to promote Mario? By now it should be promoting itself by its very existence. Nintendo needs to get its shit together and start marketing correctly. I read over what I wrote and it sounds like I hate Nintendo, I don't, it's simply that the company really rubs its own face in the dirt and expects everyone to appreciate them for who they really are. If they don't show me, I won't know.

Well, it appears again that we are at the opposite ends of the debate. And If I read our debate again, I think that we both have good arguments that it will come all down to personal preference.

And I agree that Nintendo's marketing is a joke. Seriously. One of the only enjoyable commercials where of the one where Robin Williams talked with his daughter Zelda about the new Zelda games on 3DS.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:53:53 PM by NekoJonez » »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal