Author Topic: [ANIME] The Legend of Korra: Book 2 Review  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
[ANIME] The Legend of Korra: Book 2 Review
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:13:08 AM »
"Korra, this fight is not over.
Vaatu cannot win.
Do not give in to 10,000 years of Darkness.
You are the Avatar."

-- Raava, The Legend of Korra

Earth. Fire. Air. Water. Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world.

Nickelodeon's Hit Television Series Continues! This time, Avatar Korra takes a brand new spiritual adventure into the heart of the Spirit World, where she will stop war, discover secrets of her past, and, of course, save the world! This new Book brings on a whole new dimension into the Avatar universe and will unlock more to the avatar's past than ever before! But, what does this Book truly do? Is this Book as good as the first, or even the preceding series? Is it really worth the watch? Is it just a penny-pincher? Read on to find out! WARNING: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS

Story

(click to show/hide)

If you read my summary contained in the spoilers, congrats, you've probably been mindfucked! If you didn't, too bad, I guess I'll get you next time! As you probably saw, this Book was a big jumble. It jumped from place to place and time to time and sometimes confused the hell out of me. All in all, once you've got all the story and side stories together, and look at the bigger picture, You've got yourself one helluva story! It takes a while to process what happens, and it starts up real slow, but after the entire Wan story (which in itself is perhaps the best episodes of any anime I've ever seen), it picks up pace real quick. This Book reminds us why we fell in love with the Legend of Korra and the entire Avatar series. It brings about it's fair share of action, adventure, suspense, drama, romance, and even a little comedy here and there -- the prime elements of which composed the entire Avatar series. I got a bit frustrated from the shows slow start, and I legitimately thought this may turn out to be an awful season, but as the season progressed, I grew in love with the Book and as it's time wounded down, I did not want it to go. This brings about a solid addition to the series and is well deserving of the Avatar Label

Presentation

Like the rest of the series, the animations in this Book are beautiful. It once again provides us with the unique art the series is well known for and even goes more into it with the Spirit World. The Spirit World and all its scenery is just breathtaking. The animation was choppy from time to time, but toward the end, the animation seemed to be more clear and precise. Watching it on Standard HD, the quality of the video was great and looked as though it was the maximum quality. The real highlight of the presentation of this series was the art style and animation of Avatar Wan's story. It changes the style of art almost entirely, and takes us more to a feudal-era look. it really isn't something I can put to words and is something I highly recommend you check out for yourself, even if you aren't a fan of the series.

Sound

This is an addition to the Avatar, series, so there should be no surprise in reading that the soundtrack in this Book is simply outstanding. It has plenty of old, with a mix of new and several remixes. They are always placed in the right time, and make you feel the moment rather than just see it. The voice acting is incredible once again. The voice actors are the same for all main characters and I had no problem with them. The only issue I had with the voices is Eska and Desna. They're voice acting was great and fit the characters well, don't get me wrong, but I just found them both extremely annoying. I loved the characters, just not their voices.

THE VERDICT

This is a solid addition to the series, and the Avatar series should be proud to hold it under its name. It certainly isn't better than its preceding Book, but it's definitely great in and of itself. The only issues I truly had with this series was the massive clutter of a story they try to throw onto us at once. When you get the time to think about it, it is good, but shows should not have to be like that. Also, the slow start to the story will irritate those impatient. The animations were choppy and unclear for the majority of the first 8 or so episodes, fixed itself up for the Wan story, went back to choppy for a few episodes, and then was great for the rest of it. The real highlight of this Book isn't even the ending (which was actually pretty epic), but rather the story of Wan, the first Avatar. All-in-all this was a solid Book that brought forth everything we love about Avatar, and added an entire new dimension to the story.

The Good:
+Great Story
+Great Art
+Great Visual Quality
+Great Soundtrack
+Great Voice Acting
+Great Side Stories
+Wan's Mofo'ing story

The Bad:
-Huge Clutter of Characters and Side-Stories thrown to the viewer at once
-Slow Start
-Choppy Animation