Author Topic: [PC Review] Retention  (Read 6157 times)

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
[PC Review] Retention
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:12:20 PM »

Retention
Release Date: Jan 13, 2015
Developer: Sometimes You
Publisher: Sometimes You
System: PC (Steam)

Okay, so I received this game from a giveaway I joined on SteamGifts because I had extra points laying around. I didn't really know what it was before I got it, and I still don't know what it is. This is going to be a really short review for today, because it's such an extremely short game with no substance (spoiler alert!).

The story is...well... I have no idea. I had to look it up. Here's what it says on the Steam Store page:
This game is about a person who kept running through his life, never looking back at the past. He rarely slept, and even with 24 hours in a day, it was not enough for him.
Once during a trip, he gets into trouble. Now he's lying on the cold ground buried beneath his bicycle.
Slides of various moments fly through his head.
Will his memories return? Will he be able to stand up again?
You must help him.
Oh. Great. Some pretentious bullshit.

The visuals aren't much better. It's basically a slideshow of artsy pictures. Not much to say about it.

The sound is basically nil. There's an edgy song playing in the background but that's it.

The gameplay, though, is the worst. You scroll through groups of three pictures and pick one. Then, when you've done that with all the pictures in the game, you get some random ending. I don't know what determines the ending. The game tells you "You have about 630 beats of the heart to restore his past", but it doesn't actually end the game if you take too long. It took me only about 10 minutes to an hour to beat this game 100% (I think? It showed like 4 different endings for what I did), so it's not too long in the first place.

Graphics: 2/10
Sound: 2/10
Story: 0/10
Gameplay: 0/10
Replay Value: There are multiple endings, but do you really want to see them all? Probably not.

Score: 1/10

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
Re: [PC Review] Retention
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:16:16 PM »
I don't find a point in reviewing shitty games. Honestly, I feel like reviews are for games that people hesitate on purchasing because of mixed opinion. Pros/Cons weighed against each other.

If it's all Cons, just say it's shit and stay away lol

Offline TyranBrûlée

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 0
    Defense: 1
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 22
  • お尻とおっぱいお尻とおっぱい
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:23:24 PM »
Yea unless you hate the game so much you just wanna talk about how shitty it is in the form of a review.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:24:37 PM »
I feel like that game was just some sloppy art school project

Offline Zer0 da Shadow

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • ara ara
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 12:11:38 AM »
So you click pictures to view more pictures? What is this... instagram the game?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:15:32 AM by Zer0 da Shadow » »

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 01:36:19 AM »
instagram the game
I would like legit buy that yo

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
I don't find a point in reviewing shitty games. Honestly, I feel like reviews are for games that people hesitate on purchasing because of mixed opinion. Pros/Cons weighed against each other.

If it's all Cons, just say it's shit and stay away lol

I got this thing from a giveaway. I did not want others to join giveaways for this thing thinking it'll be a quick laugh since it was free.

It was not a quick laugh. It was not free. I spent my time and energy trying to understand and like this...uh...psuedo-game.

...can I be refunded for this?

So you click pictures to view more pictures? What is this... instagram the game?
Basically, I guess. All of the pictures are pretty much standard "this is totally artsy, I gotta show this pic to everyone" fare. I mean, the pictures CAN be seen in full color, but only when you select them out of a three-image slide (though hovering over when you choose gives partial color to the image). While you won't see every picture in full color color in a single playthrough, every picture is practically an "artsy" black and white photo.

I would like legit buy that yo
Me too, if the game involved actually taking your own photos or maybe editing them to be instagram-worthy... Not this shit, though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:12:37 PM by CarolineJohnson » »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal