Author Topic: Malware - Virus and other junk. (Research)  (Read 8550 times)

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Malware - Virus and other junk. (Research)
« on: May 16, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
Ah yiss.

Lately, I'm doing some malware research. I'm trying to dissemble nasty programs that trash computers. So far, I learned quite a few things. I even nearly got around some strong ransomware trojans. (Krotter) Miz has seen me doing that.

If somebody is interested and has a program for me to check out if it's clean or not, just upload it for me on a file sharing site and I will turn it inside out.

Also, in this thread I'll talk about my findings.

Please Do not post any malware/virus/spyware/.... links here. Just to protect people who aren't that good with computers ;)

Also, when you think/know that you are infected with something, you can ask for my advice here. It can help me out in my research to get rid of malware and such shit. :D.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Re: Malware - Virus and other junk. (Research)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
Just to protect people who aren't that good with computers ;)
You assume too much.

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
Just to protect people who aren't that good with computers ;)
You assume too much.
No I think it's safer that way for dumb people like me

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
Uhu. Miz I found a nasty ransomware I want to show you.

The fucker even encrypts shortcuts

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
Uhu. Miz I found a nasty ransomware I want to show you.

The fucker even encrypts shortcuts
Can't be much nastier than the shit I've seen so far

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »
My laptop seems to have a nasty booger that stops my AV software from tracking it. Every time I scan for viruses, it freezes up my entire laptop... Any tips on tracking the little faggot down?

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »
My laptop seems to have a nasty booger that stops my AV software from tracking it. Every time I scan for viruses, it freezes up my entire laptop... Any tips on tracking the little faggot down?
Which AV are you using?

Offline Apokura

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 79
    Defense: 68
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 6
  • What a horrible night to have a curse!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »
Got infected by Delta Homes. Uninstalled the fucker, scanned my PC multiple times, changed home page, followed everything the internet told me to do, and it STILL won't leave. D:

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »
Got infected by Delta Homes. Uninstalled the fucker, scanned my PC multiple times, changed home page, followed everything the internet told me to do, and it STILL won't leave. D:
Hrm, I'm kinda a pro at killing Adware.

So, what AV do you have and what did you use to scan?

Offline Apokura

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 79
    Defense: 68
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 6
  • What a horrible night to have a curse!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:24 AM »
Hrm, I'm kinda a pro at killing Adware.

So, what AV do you have and what did you use to scan?

Avast, regular version. I tried to run a full scan, but it kinda failed, so I just stick to the smart scan.
I think maybe it detects it, but can't fix it? Chrome DID say something about "an unwanted taskbar program" or something of the sorts, but when I tried to use its fix, it just deleted my Chrome theme. D:

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 04:10:45 AM »
Which AV are you using?

I'm using Kaspersky

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
Sounds like you fellas got some shit going on. I recently had a virus that redirected all hyperlinks to their site, forcefully displayed ads on all other sites.

I suggest downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you're not planning on keeping it, you can use the 30-day premium trial if you want to feel safer. If it prevents your from running it, MBAM also has a program called Chameleon which can run under pretty much every virus.

If it can't find or fix it, try Herdprotect and/or ADWCleaner. The three programs often find malware the others don't.

(I'm faster than you Jonez)

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
Sounds like you fellas got some shit going on. I recently had a virus that redirected all hyperlinks to their site, forcefully displayed ads on all other sites.

I suggest downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you're not planning on keeping it, you can use the 30-day premium trial if you want to feel safer. If it prevents your from running it, MBAM also has a program called Chameleon which can run under pretty much every virus.

If it can't find or fix it, try Herdprotect and/or ADWCleaner. The three programs often find malware the others don't.

(I was studying & sleeping.)

MBAM might not help Kura, since it's kinda bad at picking up Adware. Since your adware only got removed by AdwCleaner.
Also, Kura, am I right in saying that you have the free version of Avast? If that's the case, I actually recommend getting the internet security version instead of the anti-virus one. Since more and more malware abuse security holes that regular antivirus programs don't block.

Which AV are you using?

I'm using Kaspersky
Cracked or payed? Or the free version. IIRC, Kaspersky doesn't have a free version anymore. Kaspersky is one of the best ones out there. It rivals my favorite program: BitDefender.

Welll, depends on how good you can kill malware. Remember my tests of the Krotten trojan? If you didn't know the "backdoors" into getting to the folder, you are pretty much done for. Also, it's never a good idea to run the premium version of MBAM if you have another antimalware/anti-virus program installed.

Out of my tests, two anti-malware programs can easily conflict with each other and slow your system down.

Heheheh, faster doesn't mean better advice.

What I recommend actually is first using an uninstaller program like Revo Uninstaller or IoBit Uninstaller. (I prefer the latter, since it's free)
Then you uninstall ALL programs that look nasty or not a legitimate program. Be sure to use the advanced mode so it kills registry keys and left over files.

After that, save ALL your work and close everything before running AdwCleaner. Double check with task manager if Chrome is closed. Since it loves running in the background.
Also, I think it's not really needed to scan with MBAM after you did a scan with HerdProtect. Since the MBAM engine is included in HerdProtect. So yeah.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
We're not dealing with elusive worms here today afaik, Jonez. I'm pretty sure that what I'm suggesting should be more than enough :P

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
Oh I forgot, Kura maybe get WinPatrol. This program will actually notify you if your homepage and such get changed. Also, when stuff like that happens, try to see if it also happens on another browser. Since that might help. Sometimes the easiest cure is simply uninstalling and reinstalling the infected browser. :D.

We're not dealing with elusive worms here today afaik, Jonez. I'm pretty sure that what I'm suggesting should be more than enough :P

Eh, not really. Uninstalling with IoBit Uninstaller and then scanning is always a better idea. Since some adware programs have like a some sneaky keys in the registry that hide from scanning. Sometimes a malware program has trouble scanning keys that are actually in use. That's one of the main reasons why uninstalling first is a better idea.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
Eh, not really. Uninstalling with IoBit Uninstaller and then scanning is always a better idea. Since some adware programs have like a some sneaky keys in the registry that hide from scanning. Sometimes a malware program has trouble scanning keys that are actually in use. That's one of the main reasons why uninstalling first is a better idea.
If the problem isn't gone after regular uninstall and scanning, then I'd suggest that.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
I honestly prefer uninstalling a program using programs like that, since I hate manually cleaning up left overs.

In various cases MBAM and other programs leave folders behind of PUP/Adware. If you don't mind having these around... Yeah, normal uninstall using control panel will do fine most likely. Depends on the strength and the amount of keys of the adware.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »
I have the actual Kaspersky. Not cracked or trial or whatever. My university gives us the full AV software for free. It runs fine but when I try to scan, it freezes my entire laptop halfway

My laptop is barely useable anymore. I can start it up and use it but at random times it becomes entirely unresponsive. It's not even frozen, it just takes forever to do stuff and even then it doesn't even do it most of the time

Sometimes it works for an hour or more just fine but then like I said it randomly acts up again. Every time it happens I have to hard reset it.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 11:33:42 PM »
And I had MalwareBytes prior to Kaspersky, so my 30-day trial is gone for that

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 05:34:29 PM »
I have the actual Kaspersky. Not cracked or trial or whatever. My university gives us the full AV software for free. It runs fine but when I try to scan, it freezes my entire laptop halfway

My laptop is barely useable anymore. I can start it up and use it but at random times it becomes entirely unresponsive. It's not even frozen, it just takes forever to do stuff and even then it doesn't even do it most of the time

Sometimes it works for an hour or more just fine but then like I said it randomly acts up again. Every time it happens I have to hard reset it.
Hrm, maybe I should take a look with TeamViewer?

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
I managed to run a registry cleanup without it freezing and it didn't freeze up for a few hours. I'll keep you posted on what's going on. If it does it again, we could use TeamViewer

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »
Ehrm. Registry scans to fix keys should only be done in certain situations. Too much regular scanning might either have an unnoticeable difference or even break some programs.

Also depens on the scanner you use.

For information.. I edit registry to eg: boot a file a startup, remove handles of uninstalled software, adding a key to register software, controlling users on a pc in public location.

One time I saw a difference after a reg scan was on a 10 year old XP machine that had some bloatware that kept reinstalling at boot.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
Yeah I know. It's only the second time I ever did it on my laptop

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »
Jeez, my "MalGoat" USB has already 15+ adware samples I found in the wild by just clicking links.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 10:21:40 PM »
Who wants to see me messing around with malware in a video?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal