Author Topic: {LINK REMOVED} becomes a thing in Steam Chat  (Read 4196 times)

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
{LINK REMOVED} becomes a thing in Steam Chat
« on: June 24, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
And we only found out because their new method of blocking links actually alerts the receiver that there's a blocked link.

In an effort to counter spambots, Valve set up Steam Chat in a way that caused messages to drop if they had links in them that were not in a short whitelist that includes sites such as Google and Valve-affiliated sites. With this, most never noticed their messages had never gone through. Now, more recently, more and more users are experiencing something different: When you send a link that isn't whitelisted by Valve, the other person sees "{LINK REMOVED}" in its place. The "Warning, you are now leaving Steam" box that pops up when you click a non-Valve-affiliated site no longer appears.

Quote from: Steam Moderator
I can now confirm Valve are looking into the reports and how to move forward with it.

Please do not spam Steam Support with tickets. This won't help the issue and will just slow down everything for everyone.

(Note: It's been 3 months since the last edit on that post, and it's still happening - it's safe to say that it probably needs to be reported to Steam Support by now)

Originally, this appeared to be being tested on accounts that were level 9 and lower, but it seems to have spread to accounts that are at higher levels. Valve team members have stated they were looking into it, but many are still affected.

Source 1, Source 2.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Re: {LINK REMOVED} becomes a thing in Steam Chat
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 05:48:10 PM »
If they pop up, give them to me. I will try and look what I can do. I will report them to various AV companies and try to shut down the servers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal