Author Topic: [PC] Cloud Review  (Read 2571 times)

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
[PC] Cloud Review
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:51:14 AM »

Cloud is a game for the PC made by thatgamecompany before it was thatgamecompany (College project or something). It's the precursor to flOw, Flower, and Journey...and the free alternative if you really want to see how good this developer is. The game is usually overshadowed by those three, seeing as they got commercial releases, but this game does NOT disappoint.

STORY | STORY | STORY | STORY | STORY | STORY | STORY | STORY | STORY | STORY
The story of Cloud is actually the entire story of the game. A kid in a hospital daydreams about flying in the clouds. Not surprisingly, you are the daydream-self of this kid. The story isn't that complicated, but that's all there is. It envokes a kind of sadness, however, in the way it's presented.

GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY | GAMEPLAY
Cloud plays very simplistically. You're moving around in a 3D environment, manipulating clouds. The glowing clouds are under your control and a click of the mouse causes them to follow you wherever you go. When a glowing cloud touches a cloud that isn't glowing, it begins to glow. You are also able to call the clouds into yourself for easy storage, and you can call them out at will.

However, this gimmick doesn't last long. The game is only four levels long and will only take around an hour to beat if you don't stop and spend time in the first two levels to play around with the clouds given to you. In addition to this, all four levels are unlocked at the start. This doesn't mean the cutscenes are skipped, but it does mean you could move directly to the final level if you wanted to, even if you didn't know how to play.

There is also one other thing: You cannot play this on a laptop without an external mouse or a working scroll bar on your trackpad. Part of the gameplay requires you to use the scroll wheel to change your character's height in the air, and if you can't do this then there will be parts of the game that will not work out very well for you.

GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS | GRAPHICS
This being a college project, it's amazing that the graphics are so wonderful. It's not as fine-tuned as, say, Flower or Journey, but it's awesome to look at. The clouds are wonderfully rendered and creates the perfect image of the sky... The cutscenes, as well, are beautifully hand-painted images that invoke that same feeling.

But that's just about where all of the graphical quality went into - the clouds, the sky, and the cutscene images. The water looks a bit two-dimensional in comparison, and the small islands that dot the surface are a bit bland. The character himself looks almost similar to a beta-graphic instead of the finished product.

However, the game is made in such a way that you don't even really notice this while you're playing. It's a good plus.

SOUND | SOUND | SOUND | SOUND | SOUND | SOUND | SOUND | SOUND | SOUND | SOUND
The sound is absolutely wonderful. From the chimes that play when you gather new clouds, to the soundtrack that plays in the background, it's extremely pleasant to the ear.

It sounds an awful like beta-Flower sounds, but it's not any less great because of it. However, the sounds are so simplistic that there's not actually much to say about it. Not at all.

PROS
  • Very fun to mess around with the clouds as much as you like
  • Wonderful soundtrack
  • It's free
  • It's on the PC, so not having a PS3 is NOT an excuse

CONS
  • Very short
  • Graphics are underwhelming except for the clouds and the cutscenes
  • Cannot be played on a laptop without external mouse or scroll wheel on your trackpad

RATING: 9/10

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:59:57 AM by ThisIsNotInu » »

Offline Noob

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
Re: [PC] Cloud Review
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
Ohh, it's free :D

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
Another review for Arpegi ^^ Me Gusta.
Good job. And it looks very very good in my opinion.

Offline megashell

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 94
    Defense: 99
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • PEW PEW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
I played this game when i still had the worst pc on earth! It lagged soooo much! and i had no idea what the hell to do! at least now my pc is considered a Super computer by others, perhaps i shall try this again

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal