Author Topic: What makes a game bad?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
What makes a game bad?
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
Okay, image that you are a game reviewer for a second... On what elements would you gave ... minus points? And why?

For me, for example... if the game is pretty short. Fast time wasters... Okay... But for example Dementium II for DS or Time Hollow for DS are WAY to short... and you beg for more.

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
Re: What makes a game bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:22:05 PM »
Graphics aren't thoroughly done and doesn't use maximum use of the console's capabilities
Gameplay is nothing new or creative. Just something bland. Maybe even worse of its genre.
Replayability is nonexistent.
Story is cliche/terribly/nonsensical
Script aren't compatible with the characters
The characters themselves are bland and cannot be related to.
The sound aren't compatible with the overall structure of the game.

A combination of 3-5 of those will make the game bad.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
I also think that the controls can play a VERY important role. How many good games have a bad control scheme that kinda of breaks the experience?
Also, how much freedom you get in a game as well... Too much and you (can) get confused. Too little... And you feel restricted.

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
I also think that the controls can play a VERY important role. How many good games have a bad control scheme that kinda of breaks the experience?
Also, how much freedom you get in a game as well... Too much and you (can) get confused. Too little... And you feel restricted.
I think all of those fall under "gameplay". :P

Anyway, I didn't see any game that had too much freedom. Hell, all of the sandbox games feel restricted. :P

As for controls, that depends on the type of game, really.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
Anyway, I didn't see any game that had too much freedom. Hell, all of the sandbox games feel restricted. :P

I was mostly aimed at the Sims with it's massive amount of expansion packs.

As for controls, that depends on the type of game, really.

Uhu. I can image that with RPG's you are a bit less strict then with eg shooters or platformers.

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
I bunch all elements together and just rate the game on how much fun im having. Graphics, sound, script etc etc are over analyzed today, too many wannabe critics think their opinion means something. At the end of the day it all boils down to - was is fun or not?

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
What costitutes a bad game?

1. If th concil is current the game should also be current. The game should use as much of the system that it can. So if we talk about the Xbox 360 and th game in question has poor graphics it did not use all that the 360 can d ans wohld thus be given deducted points.

2. The story should be compeling. I dont want a week story and neither do many gamers.If the game is story based the story must be conceived in the best way possible.
2.5. The campaign length. If the game is primarily of a single player campaign there should be more then 15-20 hours of gameplay as a low expectation. The campaign should not he long though as in it shouldnt be 120+ hours. This of course has notable exceptions.

3. Online play. If the game is priarily an online platform. the games online community should be well monitered. Prrotection to hackers must be noted. Gamepay should not seem repetetive or boring aftsr some time. Although this is hard tobacore the generalistics should be there and clarity on how to access all parts of online gameplay should be a must.

4.Music Composition. Games are split between graphic gameplay and music composition. If th music is poor or annoying gameplay will be undesirable.

There is more but thats all for nw

Offline dark 5FVD

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 3
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
If the storry isn't good at all. If it isn't good how long will you keep playing it? not verry long in my opinion.
The multiplayer if it has one. Sometimes the multiplayer is even worse then the story. the controls are terrible annoying people online and full of glitches...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal