Author Topic: [3DS] Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance Review  (Read 3790 times)

Offline -Heart.of.Sword

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 80
    Defense: 84
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • "Who's the Dead one?"
      • Anime Forumz
[3DS] Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance Review
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »

======Review======

A few years ago, it was possible to clearly separate the titles of the Kingdom Hearts series into two categories. In one of them, PlayStation 2 games, essentials for the main storyline , and in the other part, interludes and prequels released for handhelds.

2010 arrived, and Birth by Sleep has shaken this view by raising the handheld's level of quality titles of the franchise and present new protagonists and introduce adaptations of Disney worlds. The team responsible for the PSP game then departed for it's next project with a mission: to put an end to this segregation, creating an adventure at the same level of Kingdom Hearts II for the Nintendo 3DS. The result is Dream Drop Distance.

At the end of Kingdom Hearts II, Sora and Riku Mickey receive an invitation. The story of Dream Drop Distance starts from this point, when the heroes visit the home of Yen Sid. From the old master, they are given a mission: try to demonstrate the Mark of Mastery to receive the title of true Keyblade Masters. For this, they should go to the dimension of dreams and explore "dormant" versions of multiple worlds that are surrounded by darkness, as if trapped in nightmares.

In easy terms, it is possible to compare the importance of this game to the plot of Chain of Memories, in the sense that it connects directly to the previous titles in the series in the future Kingdom Hearts III. Yet leaving many mysteries in the air, of course, it shows which way the heroes will take on their next adventure and what is the ultimate goal of the all powerful villain Xehanort.

Oh, and it is important to make this clear: as much as Square Enix's marketing claims the contrary, Dream Drop Distance is not a good starting point for newcomers to the series. Yes, it brings summaries of the plots of the previous games ... But experienced travelers know that Kingdom Hearts is impossible to explain the nuances of its events clearly through mere words. It's true. And there is another reason ...

That's the fact that Dream Drop Distance becomes outdated dramatically games like 358/2 Days, Re: coded and even Birth by Sleep. The improvements in this new chapter are so many that going back to the previous games, depriving yourself of the advances, is difficult. For purposes of convenience, it is possible to draw a direct parallel with the almighty PSP game: Dream Drop Distance is bigger, prettier, faster, more complex, more diverse, better structured and more engaging than it.

Birth by Sleep was "Kingdom Hearts II-lite." A miniaturized version of the PS2 experience. Beautiful, yes, but simplistic. Its gameplay systems were just recreations of others who had been seen previously, and their scenarios, brief and empty, seemed of little inspiration. On the 3DS, the series breaks in a new ground with several additions to gameplay and surprisingly in a genuine way with their worlds for the first time since Kingdom Hearts II.

In the post-game, the impression is that, in an unprecedented way, developers of the handheld series didn't make ​​concessions because of the format. Here, the scenarios are vast and highly exploitable, the boss battles creative and the progression system very engaging.

Perhaps the most striking innovation of the game is  the Flowmotion system. Available from the beginning of the adventure, it gives Sora and Riku acrobatic skills that allow them to explore scenarios with great dexterity and find all of its secrets right in the first time they are visited. Through it, it's possible jump into walls to gain a huge speed boost, for example. Leaving sparks in all directions, the movements of Flowmotion can still be used in combat, making the fighting more agile and varied.

Another innovation of Dream Drop Distance is the inclusion of the Dream Eaters, creatures that serve as both enemies and allies on the journey. After defeating them in battle, players can use their "Dream Pieces" to create docile versions of them that can fight by your side, like the monsters in Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Spirits - the name given to the docile Dream Eaters - should be administered through a system that combines the engine of Final Fantasy V, Pokémon and Nintendogs. Each one has different attributes, among which are "affection" and "Link Points". The first determines the disposition that the Spirits have to help you, and should be improved through minigames utilizing the touch screen - just like the simulator to create pets from Nintendo. The Link Points are points that can be spent on "Ability Link Boards" - progression tables for each individual Spirit that grant Sora and Riku new Commands (skills) or extra bonuses like HP or strength.

Only three Spirits can be active at a time. In this state, all of their Ability Link bonus are also active. They're like the different jobs from Final Fantasy V, but they can also be disabled without the player being deprived of all of its benefits. Commands, for example, stay available even when unlocked Spirits that are at rest. It is, therefore, important to take care of all your little monsters with equal care and attention...As in Pokémon.

Sora's Final Form in Kingdom Hearts II is an important milestone. With this activated form, the player was able to take advantage of what's best in the fights of the franchise's system - both visual and control, its fluidity and agility. With the additions of the Flowmotion system and the Dream Eaters, Dream Drop Distance is the sequence of II that goes closest to recreate that satisfying battle mode.

With animations and more detailed models than Birth by Sleep, the 3DS game also equates Kingdom Hearts II in graphic terms. It is a pleasure to watch cutscenes in real time, and plasticity of clashes against Nightmares is also commendable. To help the cause, the development team still outdone themselves in terms of artistic direction, creating scenarios impressive as the worlds Symphony of Sorcery, inspired by Fantasia, and The Grid, inspired by Tron: Legacy.

To explain Dream Drop Distance, it'ss impossible not to mention Birth by Sleep every two paragraphs. So here am I again. Whew.

The PSP game told a story that preceded the first Kingdom Hearts from the perspective of three protagonists: Ventus, Terra and Aqua. Each took different paths in their adventures, despite passing through the same worlds, and it was possible to take advantage the three distinct journeys in any order desired. In essence, there were three separate games together on a single UMD media. Dream Drop Distance, in turn, has two protagonists - Sora and Riku - which also draw parallel paths as they face their own battles. Integrated intelligently, however, the two journeys never seem to be separated. They're always connected.

In Birth by Sleep, players traced a full patch at a time, so then they could take the next. That's because, even though the actors were different, the situations with which they crossed and scenarios by which they passed were very similar - or even identical. In this new game, there is a factor called "Drop Meter" - a bar that empties each at step taken by Riku or Sora, which transfers control from one to the other when it reaches zero (I simply hate that thing). Thus, players control Sora for a few minutes, Riku soon after, and so on - going through the same worlds, but in completely different circumstances and scenarios that often do not connect.

Early in the adventure, while being introduced to the mechanics of Drop, the player realizes that, despite being in the same Traverse Town with Sora and Riku, the heroes interact with different characters. While Sora meets Neku and Rhyme (from The World Ends With You - TWEWY), Riku intersects with Shiki and Beat. The jouneys complete each other.

In terms of gameplay, there are no major differences between Sora and Riku - except for the fact that his skills in conjunction with the Dream Eaters of your team, called "links" are quite different in nature. The parallel progression thus serves not as an inconvenience in the player's life, but only as a way to make it clear that those events are occurring at the same time. There are times indeed that the exchange comes in unsuitable hours - Like Boss Fights - but it is always possible to revert the control to the desired character immediately.

But there is one factor in Birth by Sleep which does better than Dream Drop Distance: Multiplayer. Removed from play, the Mirage Arena (an arena of fighting for four players in a Monster Hunter style) has no equivalent in 3DS mode. Instead, there is the Flick Rush Mode - a simple way of fighting between Dream Eaters that recreates the mechanical command by cards with numerical values ​​from Chain of Memories. As an extra hobby, it's fun, but it does not deserve any further mentions.

In the documents and plans of Square Enix, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance may be just a title of transition, created to prepare fans for the inevitable Kingdom Hearts III (YAY!...Sorry) coming to light. For fans of action RPGs and owners of 3DS, however, it is much MORE than that.

More than just a spin-off, this title is worthy of a place alongside the games for PlayStation platforms both for advance in the story of the series significantly, as for having great merits in terms of innovation and playability. Kingdom Hearts 3D is enhancing the portable Kingdom Hearts formula that unites everything the series has already hit earlier in format to many new smart ideas

Those who already like the KH series for sure are already playing the title, or have it in their list of upcoming acquisitions. To the new ones... No, I do not recommend to take this guy and depart from this point. I recommend you go back and play back what you lost, and only then arrive at Dream Drop Distance. Just because of the series as a whole, and also specifically for this chapter, I guarantee: it's worth.

=====Overall=====

+ Addictive and satisfying gameplay, comparable to the one of Kingdom Hearts II;
+ Interesting innovations to the series, like Flowmotion and the Dream Eaters;
+ Huge quality of Graphics;
+ Good selection of worlds and new characters(and old ones too, reimagined);
+ Engaging story with great relevance to the overall picture of the series;
+ Long Adventure - simple advantage on the lower difficulties, and true challenging on the most difficult ones;

- Despite what was promised, the game is not a good starting point for beginners in this franchise.

TOTAL: 9.5/10

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Re: [3DS] Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance Review
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:22 AM »
This is one of the better reviews.
Great work!

And nice use of screenshots and lay-out.

I could make some minor complaints but hey, we aren't all perfect.

Offline -Heart.of.Sword

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • "Who's the Dead one?"
      • Anime Forumz
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
This is one of the better reviews.
Great work!

And nice use of screenshots and lay-out.

I could make some minor complaints but hey, we aren't all perfect.

Thank you very much! I won't edit it anymore cause the BBcode is getting all messed up by itself, so I'll just leave it like that. :o

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
Reading this review made me all the more anxious to play this game, very good job Me-Hearty.

Though it's just a shame I can't afford a 3DS :/

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
I reviewed at least a 100 games on my blog in the past and I advice you... Use titles for separate sections of the review. This way it doesn't become one wall of text with pictures.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
I reviewed at least a 100 games on my blog in the past and I advice you... Use titles for separate sections of the review. This way it doesn't become one wall of text with pictures.
I dunno, you could very well argue that the pictures separated the paragraphs nicely. I mean, it worked for me at least.

Offline -Heart.of.Sword

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • "Who's the Dead one?"
      • Anime Forumz
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
I dunno, you could very well argue that the pictures separated the paragraphs nicely. I mean, it worked for me at least.

Thanks, but he's right. Let's say you just wanted to know about the gameplay. You'd have a hard time finding it in the wall text. I's not bad, but could be better. In fact I thought about adding that but the BBcode just wasn't working with me, if everything gets messed up again I'll just beat up my computer, haha.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:28:04 PM by -Heart.of.Sword » »

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
There are more cons to the game than what you mentioned, besides that, great review! I love this game as well, and I agree with your review almost completely!

Offline -Heart.of.Sword

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • "Who's the Dead one?"
      • Anime Forumz
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
There are more cons to the game than what you mentioned, besides that, great review! I love this game as well, and I agree with your review almost completely!

I guess I should add some functions of the Drop system. If your Drop Meter runs out while in a fight you'll have to restart the whole battle again. That forces you to constantly carry extra Drop-me-not (fills up your Drop Meter a little bit), therefore wasting precious slots that otherwise could be used for nice Attack Commands/Magic/Itens. And thank you, really. The Reader's opinion really matters to me, they make everything worth the effort! ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:26:56 PM by -Heart.of.Sword » »

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »

I guess I should add some functions of the Drop system. If your Drop Meter runs out while in a fight you'll have to restart the whole battle again. That forces you to constantly carry extra Drop-me-not (fills up your Drop Meter a little bit), therefore wasting precious slots that otherwise could be used for nice Attack Commands/Magic/Itens. And thank you, really. The Reader's opinion really matters to me, they make everything worth the effort! ;)
Not only that, but although the game was long, the individual worlds were quite short in length. I understand that it is because the game features two characters, but they still could have added a little more to each world.

And, I also love it when I know that people actually see and enjoy my work. It gives me motivation to do more

Offline -Heart.of.Sword

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • "Who's the Dead one?"
      • Anime Forumz
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
Not only that, but although the game was long, the individual worlds were quite short in length. I understand that it is because the game features two characters, but they still could have added a little more to each world.

And, I also love it when I know that people actually see and enjoy my work. It gives me motivation to do more

Yeah, I get it. I'd like more special commands btw :P

Offline Joel16

• Intellectual Elite
  • Attack: 97
    Defense: 98
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 8
  • Be lost in an eternal illusion.
      • Joel16's Projects
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 04:48:36 AM »
this looks a lot like the nds version ._.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal