Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 1919 times)

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
Hurricane Sandy
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »
You all probably heard it and I bet none of you probably experienced it.

Yes there are memes online,jokes about it, funniest.... this storm was nothing to laugh about. Having been in the path of it and seeing reppercussions of it... or... paying for it in my case.

A snapshot of the affected States, just facts, but what this doesn't show is the destruction, desolation that came as a result of the storm or the hundreds of thousands of people that are now homeless.

The massive storm that started out as Hurricane Sandy slammed into the East Coast and morphed into a huge and problematic system, killing at least 106 people in the United States. Power outages now stand at more than 2.2 million homes and businesses, down from a peak of 8.5 million. Here's a snapshot of what is happening, state by state.

CONNECTICUT

Memorial held for firefighter hit by falling tree. Deaths: 3. Power outages: 85,000, down from a peak of 625,000.

MASSACHUSETTS

Ship heading to Elizabeth, N.J., to house emergency workers, power crews and others. Deaths: None. Power outages: none, down from 400,000.

NEW JERSEY

Rationing system for auto fuel takes effect in northern New Jersey, creating confusion and frustration. State allowing displaced residents to vote by email or fax. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announces she will visit Sunday. Deaths: 23. Power outages: 1.1 million, down from 2.7 million.

NEW YORK

Lights go back on in lower Manhattan after days of darkness while resentment builds in hard-hit, still-powerless outer boroughs. Children go back to school Monday. Deaths: 47, including 40 in New York City. Power outages: 900,000, down from 2.2 million.

PENNSYLVANIA

Between 250 and 300 polling places remained without power just days before Tuesday's election. Red Cross closes all but two of its shelters. Deaths: 15. Power outages: 100,000, down from 1.2 million.

RHODE ISLAND

President declares a major disaster, freeing up federal funding for recovery efforts. Volunteers in Westerly work to clear away debris. Deaths: None. Power outages: none, down from more than 122,000.

WEST VIRGINIA

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano visits and pledges resources for state to recover from heavy snowfall. Deaths: 6. Power outages: 65,000, down from 270,000.

Other states with storm-related deaths: Maryland (4), New Hampshire (1), North Carolina (3), Ohio (2), Virginia (2

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:22:56 AM »
A couple of my friends on another forum were in the middle of it, I hear there was a lot of damage and boats from a harbour were in peoples yards.

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:19:35 AM »
New York, day two of the storm:

People wait outside Gamestop to get Assassin's Creed III, even though the power's already gone out at their homes. It's a wonder Gamestop's still open, let alone serving customers.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
This morning I heard there was a snowstorm in NY o.O
Was it bad?