Creative > Roleplay

RP Ideas Thread

(1/14) > >>

BloodcatNS:
Exactly what it says on the tin.

This is my response to the RP Section's lack of activity. Here, we get to discuss the various ideas for possible RPs. Simple as that, no? When you post an idea, you can brainstorm on how to construct the overall structure of the RP. The concepts in-world, the level of technology it possesses, the lifestyle of its inhabitants, etc etc.

However, when you post your idea, be sure that you completely summarize it. We don't want a post that goes something like: "Hey, how about an RP about magical flying pigs". If you feel like you're lacking something, then go ahead and ask for help here.

Mr.PowPow:
I'd like to suggest an idea, although I have little interest in running the RP myself. The concept is basically a world where magic used to exist in society, but was strongly regulated and eventually banned from usage. The world is a fairly modern world (think around 1990's) and bares great similarities to our own, but around the 1950's an organisation came from out of the shadows with unusually advanced technology that had the capability of suppressing magical energies and this was done without anyone's consent, it was a forced regulation of magic. Although the current government at the time tried to fight back against this organisation the prospect of collateral damage was too great, thus by the time the government decided to take action and mobilize its forces, this new organisation had already taken half of the country and placed its magic suppressing tech in every street corner, effectively splitting the country in half. One capable of using magic and the other thrown into a dark oppression.

The RP begins during the 1990's when the organisation, now named "DogmaTech" now rules all of the country in place of the fallen government (which is currently unnamed) and is slowly tearing its way through the rest of the world. Spreading the anti-magic tech in its wake, though the motivation for this is unknown. The public live relatively normally, they are not mistreated apart from the occasional Dogma soldier with an arrogant attitude strolls by. It seems as though DogmaTech wishes no harm to the people, but has a strong dislike of magic.

Thats the basics of what I had in mind, I've left quite a bit to the imagination though, wanna help me elaborate on this?

Toffee:

--- Quote from: Pow on December 13, 2012, 05:34:36 PM ---I'd like to suggest an idea, although I have little interest in running the RP myself. The concept is basically a world where magic used to exist in society, but was strongly regulated and eventually banned from usage. The world is a fairly modern world (think around 1990's) and bares great similarities to our own, but around the 1950's an organisation came from out of the shadows with unusually advanced technology that had the capability of suppressing magical energies and this was done without anyone's consent, it was a forced regulation of magic. Although the current government at the time tried to fight back against this organisation the prospect of collateral damage was too great, thus by the time the government decided to take action and mobilize its forces, this new organisation had already taken half of the country and placed its magic suppressing tech in every street corner, effectively splitting the country in half. One capable of using magic and the other thrown into a dark oppression.

The RP begins during the 1990's when the organisation, now named "DogmaTech" now rules all of the country in place of the fallen government (which is currently unnamed) and is slowly tearing its way through the rest of the world. Spreading the anti-magic tech in its wake, though the motivation for this is unknown. The public live relatively normally, they are not mistreated apart from the occasional Dogma soldier with an arrogant attitude strolls by. It seems as though DogmaTech wishes no harm to the people, but has a strong dislike of magic.

Thats the basics of what I had in mind, I've left quite a bit to the imagination though, wanna help me elaborate on this?

--- End quote ---

This is a very wonderful setting for a world. I'm assuming of course that the oppression of magic would undoubtedly lead to a few factions of people fighting for the restoration of magic? And what DogmaTech? What are their reasons for banning magic? Are they trying to control the world's magic so that only they hold the power? Or do they have a more altruistic motive; discovering that magic is slowly destroying the world rapidly depleting the earth's life force, they ban all magic to ensure the overall safety of humankind?

Mr.PowPow:

--- Quote from: Toffee on December 13, 2012, 07:16:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: Pow on December 13, 2012, 05:34:36 PM ---I'd like to suggest an idea, although I have little interest in running the RP myself. The concept is basically a world where magic used to exist in society, but was strongly regulated and eventually banned from usage. The world is a fairly modern world (think around 1990's) and bares great similarities to our own, but around the 1950's an organisation came from out of the shadows with unusually advanced technology that had the capability of suppressing magical energies and this was done without anyone's consent, it was a forced regulation of magic. Although the current government at the time tried to fight back against this organisation the prospect of collateral damage was too great, thus by the time the government decided to take action and mobilize its forces, this new organisation had already taken half of the country and placed its magic suppressing tech in every street corner, effectively splitting the country in half. One capable of using magic and the other thrown into a dark oppression.

--- End quote ---

This is a very wonderful setting for a world. I'm assuming of course that the oppression of magic would undoubtedly lead to a few factions of people fighting for the restoration of magic? And what DogmaTech? What are their reasons for banning magic? Are they trying to control the world's magic so that only they hold the power? Or do they have a more altruistic motive; discovering that magic is slowly destroying the world rapidly depleting the earth's life force, they ban all magic to ensure the overall safety of humankind?

--- End quote ---
Yeah, there is definitely an underground resistance, however since the majority of modern weaponry (e.g guns and bombs) are also manufactured by and for DogmaTech's own personal usage, its very uncommon for these factions to have any significant weaponry, that coupled with the fact that any form of offensive magic is unable to be used due to the countless anti-magic machines that are spread-out all through the country. So you could say that any confrontation between these resistances and DogmaTech's military forces (yep, they have their own military now) ends up in a curb stomp battle. However, since not all countries have been taken over yet, there are ways around this problem.

And I do have something in mind for the motive of DogmaTech, though its not as cut and dry as trying to save the world from itself or keeping all the power to themselves. For example, the machines that "suppress magic" may only seem to be suppressing it, but maybe its more about re-directing the energy to another undisclosed location. Plus I think it'd be more interesting if there is a bit of a difference between what DogmaTech's founder and leader wants, and what the followers and employees of DogmaTech believe they are fighting for.

I could say more about DogmaTech but hell, that'd leave very little for story progression.
The only thing I am undecided on is what exactly this "magic" does, as it plays an important role in the story yet is rarely seen or used. Keep the questions coming, I'm made this concept off the top of my head so I haven't pinned everything down lol

Toffee:
I had thoughts about meshing our two ideas together. Since, the only thing concrete I have in my mind right now is the magic of the world itself, and you have the settings of the world and government. If we do this right, we could create a very interesting world indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version