Author Topic: RP Ideas Thread  (Read 25195 times)

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
RP Ideas Thread
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »
Exactly what it says on the tin.

This is my response to the RP Section's lack of activity. Here, we get to discuss the various ideas for possible RPs. Simple as that, no? When you post an idea, you can brainstorm on how to construct the overall structure of the RP. The concepts in-world, the level of technology it possesses, the lifestyle of its inhabitants, etc etc.

However, when you post your idea, be sure that you completely summarize it. We don't want a post that goes something like: "Hey, how about an RP about magical flying pigs". If you feel like you're lacking something, then go ahead and ask for help here.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
Re: RP Ideas Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
I'd like to suggest an idea, although I have little interest in running the RP myself. The concept is basically a world where magic used to exist in society, but was strongly regulated and eventually banned from usage. The world is a fairly modern world (think around 1990's) and bares great similarities to our own, but around the 1950's an organisation came from out of the shadows with unusually advanced technology that had the capability of suppressing magical energies and this was done without anyone's consent, it was a forced regulation of magic. Although the current government at the time tried to fight back against this organisation the prospect of collateral damage was too great, thus by the time the government decided to take action and mobilize its forces, this new organisation had already taken half of the country and placed its magic suppressing tech in every street corner, effectively splitting the country in half. One capable of using magic and the other thrown into a dark oppression.

The RP begins during the 1990's when the organisation, now named "DogmaTech" now rules all of the country in place of the fallen government (which is currently unnamed) and is slowly tearing its way through the rest of the world. Spreading the anti-magic tech in its wake, though the motivation for this is unknown. The public live relatively normally, they are not mistreated apart from the occasional Dogma soldier with an arrogant attitude strolls by. It seems as though DogmaTech wishes no harm to the people, but has a strong dislike of magic.

Thats the basics of what I had in mind, I've left quite a bit to the imagination though, wanna help me elaborate on this?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:40:13 PM by Pow » »

Offline Toffee

• Doesn't know about the matrix.
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 4
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
I'd like to suggest an idea, although I have little interest in running the RP myself. The concept is basically a world where magic used to exist in society, but was strongly regulated and eventually banned from usage. The world is a fairly modern world (think around 1990's) and bares great similarities to our own, but around the 1950's an organisation came from out of the shadows with unusually advanced technology that had the capability of suppressing magical energies and this was done without anyone's consent, it was a forced regulation of magic. Although the current government at the time tried to fight back against this organisation the prospect of collateral damage was too great, thus by the time the government decided to take action and mobilize its forces, this new organisation had already taken half of the country and placed its magic suppressing tech in every street corner, effectively splitting the country in half. One capable of using magic and the other thrown into a dark oppression.

The RP begins during the 1990's when the organisation, now named "DogmaTech" now rules all of the country in place of the fallen government (which is currently unnamed) and is slowly tearing its way through the rest of the world. Spreading the anti-magic tech in its wake, though the motivation for this is unknown. The public live relatively normally, they are not mistreated apart from the occasional Dogma soldier with an arrogant attitude strolls by. It seems as though DogmaTech wishes no harm to the people, but has a strong dislike of magic.

Thats the basics of what I had in mind, I've left quite a bit to the imagination though, wanna help me elaborate on this?

This is a very wonderful setting for a world. I'm assuming of course that the oppression of magic would undoubtedly lead to a few factions of people fighting for the restoration of magic? And what DogmaTech? What are their reasons for banning magic? Are they trying to control the world's magic so that only they hold the power? Or do they have a more altruistic motive; discovering that magic is slowly destroying the world rapidly depleting the earth's life force, they ban all magic to ensure the overall safety of humankind?

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »

This is a very wonderful setting for a world. I'm assuming of course that the oppression of magic would undoubtedly lead to a few factions of people fighting for the restoration of magic? And what DogmaTech? What are their reasons for banning magic? Are they trying to control the world's magic so that only they hold the power? Or do they have a more altruistic motive; discovering that magic is slowly destroying the world rapidly depleting the earth's life force, they ban all magic to ensure the overall safety of humankind?
Yeah, there is definitely an underground resistance, however since the majority of modern weaponry (e.g guns and bombs) are also manufactured by and for DogmaTech's own personal usage, its very uncommon for these factions to have any significant weaponry, that coupled with the fact that any form of offensive magic is unable to be used due to the countless anti-magic machines that are spread-out all through the country. So you could say that any confrontation between these resistances and DogmaTech's military forces (yep, they have their own military now) ends up in a curb stomp battle. However, since not all countries have been taken over yet, there are ways around this problem.

And I do have something in mind for the motive of DogmaTech, though its not as cut and dry as trying to save the world from itself or keeping all the power to themselves. For example, the machines that "suppress magic" may only seem to be suppressing it, but maybe its more about re-directing the energy to another undisclosed location. Plus I think it'd be more interesting if there is a bit of a difference between what DogmaTech's founder and leader wants, and what the followers and employees of DogmaTech believe they are fighting for.

I could say more about DogmaTech but hell, that'd leave very little for story progression.
The only thing I am undecided on is what exactly this "magic" does, as it plays an important role in the story yet is rarely seen or used. Keep the questions coming, I'm made this concept off the top of my head so I haven't pinned everything down lol

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:48:22 PM by Pow » »

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »
I had thoughts about meshing our two ideas together. Since, the only thing concrete I have in my mind right now is the magic of the world itself, and you have the settings of the world and government. If we do this right, we could create a very interesting world indeed.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:07 AM »
If you are willing to do such a thing, then I support that. I think its a good idea.

We can talk about how we can mesh it together in your new thread if you are still interested in doing so when the thread is made.

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »
Okay, but I'll have to make it tomorrow. My time on the PC is short right now since my bros have to use it. Anyways, I think I've finally settled the basics of the magic that will come into play in the RP. It will be interesting, and I'm not sure how people will like it, but I guess I just have to present it and find out.

Offline Caster no Mae

• Elite Member
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 3
  • Guru Guru Fluff~
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
Okay, but I'll have to make it tomorrow. My time on the PC is short right now since my bros have to use it. Anyways, I think I've finally settled the basics of the magic that will come into play in the RP. It will be interesting, and I'm not sure how people will like it, but I guess I just have to present it and find out.

Just don't stop doing it and it should get atleast medicore popularity
atleast I am interested to play the totally not Fate RP

also, would this use the RNG thing Pow used as well?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:22:36 PM by Caster no Mae » »

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
also, would this use the RNG thing Pow used as well?
even though its not really my call, I'd like to give my opinion on this. I wouldn't bother with any form of battle system using a random number generator unless you think its really important to the story. The whole process of the damage calculations and that sorta stuff takes longer than you might think.

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »
I was thinking battles be free styled, leaving it to the authors to decide how they battle and trusting them to handicap themselves when necessary.

Also, the first part of the magic lecture is posted. Practical applications and how the battle magic is created will be posted shortly.

Okay, now I've finished the lecture.... any questions? please post it there!

Also... fair warning... it's big wall of text, so grab some drinks or some popcorn.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:45:11 PM by Toffee » »

Offline Caster no Mae

• Elite Member
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 3
  • Guru Guru Fluff~
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:58 PM »
we Should Totally Have Some Kind of D&D thing Going here or some other Boardy Game Like thing here like Call of Cthulu

Maybe a Forum thing like game of  it, like say a 1 week/month Long, and the whole game would be going to be a "Contest" like who survives or some other "Victory Conditions", naturally the games should be hard with possibly Dastardious Game Master
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:13:18 PM by Caster no Mae » »

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
I actually been wanting to do something for a very long time, a long rp, granted, but when ill have tithe time to do it? That's debatable :/

Offline Apokura

• Attack: 79
    Defense: 68
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 6
  • What a horrible night to have a curse!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
Persona RP. Who's interested? And for those who are, any ideas?

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
I'm interested, although the only Persona game I played was the second one and I didn't really like it that much. Nevertheless.

Offline Apokura

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »
Well, ever since Persona 2, the series has changed a lot...Or so I heard, given I didn't play 1 or 2. It mainly focuses on two things: Social interaction and dungeon crawling, aside from the concepts of Persona, fate, tarot and that kinda stuff. It's a very awesome series ever since 3, that I can guarantee. Unless you don't like it, in that case, it's not so awesome for you. o-o

Aaanyways. We should have something that would keep pulling use back to the dungeon often, and a reason to stay there quite a while as well. Otherwise, like Blood said, it'd be basically something very similar to a High-school RP. We can't remove that part entirely, however, since social interaction is a main point in the series...

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 08:42:10 PM »
Would you implement a Social Link type system in the rp? Social Links are what makes Persona game, "Persona" for me. How would you feel about a system where an RPer's character would represent one of the arcana, and through constant interaction between two characters the Social Links for both of them would go up and when they fight together they gain bonuses and stuff.

Character A (Fool) interacts with Character B (Sun)
Eventually both of their Social Links go up

Character A's [Sun] Social Link went up by 1!
Character B's [Fool] Social Link went up by 1!

Character A fights a battle together with Character C (Devil)
No bonus

Character B fights a battle together with Character A
Increased Defense for the duration of the fight.

... Or something like that.

Offline Apokura

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
Yes, something like that. I wouldn't quite say increased statuses, though, but more like a fusion skill or something. Thing is, I'm thinking it'd be better if we had battles more free instead of RPG-like. I.e, instead of using numbers, having the combat be something more similar to P4Arena or P4Anime instead of turn-based RPG-like or something. It's cooler, livelier and I think it gives more freedom overall.

Anyway, there's another thing with the Arcana thing. If every character had an Arcana, would that character's personae be restricted to said Arcana? If that's the case, the Fool would be locked to all players, since Fool=Wild Card=Multiple Persona. But, that'd limit the Persona per character to very few...Any opinions?

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24:08 PM »
As I recall, the Wild Card ability is not really dependent on whether a character's arcana is Fool or not. As ALL characters in Persona 2 are able to switch personas, albeit limited to their own arcanas. (The protagonist in persona 2, Tatsuya Suou's arcana is Sun, so he is only able to access personas of the Sun arcana, but he is able to switch between them) The protagonists in 3 and 4 are special because not only do they have the Wild Card ability, but their Primary Arcana is Fool. These two combined give them the ability to change personas in any arcana.

Knowing this, I think the best system would be to lock each character to one arcana, including Fool, but not allowing the Wild Card ability. Essentially, all the characters will be like the non-protags in Persona 3 and 4 who only possess one persona. Evolution of personas should be allowed though, and could be tied in with the Social Links. When a character has enough Social Links with high enough levels their persona will evolve.

Of course, these are just my ideas. You may have something different in mind.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:29:33 PM by Toffee » »

Offline Apokura

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »
That could work. I think the easiest way to know what pleases most of the interested members is to make a poll...which could be arranged later.

Now, as for the plot. Does anyone have any good ideas? I mean, we could recycle Tartarus and/or TV World from previous game, but a brand new thing would be interesting.

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
Internet?

Offline Apokura

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »
Well, that could work...if somehow somebody decided that tossing someone up a PC screen was a good idea, and it actually worked. o3o But I was actually thinking about something more similar to Tartarus than to the TV world.

Also, does anyone mind actually running and managing the RP? I feel quite unconfident in that I'd be a good man for the job.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 09:17:48 PM »
Okay so I've been thinking about starting up another RP, but I've learned from mistakes that having a battle system is indeed fun and interesting, but requires so much maintenance that it becomes impractical for a single GM to manage in the long run. However I wouldn't be content with using just an average RP structure, I'd want something to differentiate it from others.

So I've come up with something which is easier to maintain but also makes the experience somewhat different and adds an element of difficulty to it, with added random luck. I call it the Karma system.

Basically the RP I'm thinking about will be set in a prison complex, where all of the inhabitants are set loose and start killing each other off in a massive death match, however you are part of a small group that have to go and find whoever is orchestrating everything from deep within the facility, while trying to avoid the ensuing chaos. However, naturally at certain points you'll be given decisions on how to tackle a situation (usually told to you by the antagonist via PA speakers which are orchestrated in order to slow your progress).One will be a risk decision and the other will be an ease decision.

Risk decision is the good option, you avoid putting others in harms way and accumulating Bad Karma. However, you have to preform a roll and this could result in the death your character.

Ease decision is the bad option, you allow a target to die or refuse to allow yourself to take any harm or put yourself in an unfavorable position. You avoid having to roll, but you accumulate Bad Karma.

Bad Karma is a point system, the more you accumulate the higher chance you have of dying at a Redemption zone. Redemption zones are triggered in your immediate area after so much time has passed (in-game). The higher Bad Karma you have, the more chance of your character dying. This is determined through percentage chance of course. There is no way to remove Bad Karma, Redemption is in every sense the only way for your character to get what he/she deserves.

So you'll have to decide whether you want to avoid dying while preforming in an event, or dying at a redemption zone. Events have a higher chance of your character dying, but redemption zones are increasingly more frequent. You'll be constantly at odds, but surviving will offer greater satisfaction. If you die, you die. You are out. You can rejoin the story as someone involved in the behind the scenes (close to the antagonist) but you cannot rejoin the main party. You forfeit your chance at being the hero.

If there is a great enough interest, I'll post the details of the story and any other relevant information. Any questions I'll answer too.
(btw for those of you wondering, this actually is way more simpler than my CM battle system and economy thing. Considering that I don't have to constantly fiddle around with it and display it to you in written format)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:21:33 PM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline Apokura

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 11:53:06 PM »
Okay so I've been thinking about starting up another RP, but I've learned from mistakes that having a battle system is indeed fun and interesting, but requires so much maintenance that it becomes impractical for a single GM to manage in the long run. However I wouldn't be content with using just an average RP structure, I'd want something to differentiate it from others.

So I've come up with something which is easier to maintain but also makes the experience somewhat different and adds an element of difficulty to it, with added random luck. I call it the Karma system.

Basically the RP I'm thinking about will be set in a prison complex, where all of the inhabitants are set loose and start killing each other off in a massive death match, however you are part of a small group that have to go and find whoever is orchestrating everything from deep within the facility, while trying to avoid the ensuing chaos. However, naturally at certain points you'll be given decisions on how to tackle a situation (usually told to you by the antagonist via PA speakers which are orchestrated in order to slow your progress).One will be a risk decision and the other will be an ease decision.

Risk decision is the good option, you avoid putting others in harms way and accumulating Bad Karma. However, you have to preform a roll and this could result in the death your character.

Ease decision is the bad option, you allow a target to die or refuse to allow yourself to take any harm or put yourself in an unfavorable position. You avoid having to roll, but you accumulate Bad Karma.

Bad Karma is a point system, the more you accumulate the higher chance you have of dying at a Redemption zone. Redemption zones are triggered in your immediate area after so much time has passed (in-game). The higher Bad Karma you have, the more chance of your character dying. This is determined through percentage chance of course. There is no way to remove Bad Karma, Redemption is in every sense the only way for your character to get what he/she deserves.

So you'll have to decide whether you want to avoid dying while preforming in an event, or dying at a redemption zone. Events have a higher chance of your character dying, but redemption zones are increasingly more frequent. You'll be constantly at odds, but surviving will offer greater satisfaction. If you die, you die. You are out. You can rejoin the story as someone involved in the behind the scenes (close to the antagonist) but you cannot rejoin the main party. You forfeit your chance at being the hero.

If there is a great enough interest, I'll post the details of the story and any other relevant information. Any questions I'll answer too.
(btw for those of you wondering, this actually is way more simpler than my CM battle system and economy thing. Considering that I don't have to constantly fiddle around with it and display it to you in written format)

I like that idea, really really interesting. I have only one problem with it, though. Unless the main party can be regrouped at a certain point, the chances of the RP ending with at least one person alive is...well, small. Unless that's the whole point of it, though.
On the other note, I have a suggestion. Considering the player party dies constantly, the players could rejoin at other points, for other objectives - i.e first party dies. Then, some of the antagonist's allies decide to go against him, leading the players to a new party, and so on. That's just an idea, though.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:54 AM »
I like that idea, really really interesting. I have only one problem with it, though. Unless the main party can be regrouped at a certain point, the chances of the RP ending with at least one person alive is...well, small. Unless that's the whole point of it, though.
On the other note, I have a suggestion. Considering the player party dies constantly, the players could rejoin at other points, for other objectives - i.e first party dies. Then, some of the antagonist's allies decide to go against him, leading the players to a new party, and so on. That's just an idea, though.
Well, I do want there to be an element of difficulty to it. So that when you get to view more of the story, you feel like you've deserved it because you have survived despite the odds. But I like your idea, so when all members have died, then a new party can be formed consisting of the antagonist's allies. The RP will end when the antagonist is reached.

It's essentially a survival game, a very real game of chess, pawns defeating the king won't be easy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:07:14 AM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
Would the Risk and Ease decisions not always give the expected results? Either positively or negatively? That would fit the "against-the-odds survival" theme.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal