Creative > Roleplay

Professor Toffee's Illustrated Guide to Magic / Q&A Thread / Chat Thread

<< < (2/7) > >>

Mr.PowPow:
So far I think I understand, anything else?

Caster no Mae:
are either Blood or Time Magic Legit?

Toffee:

--- Quote from: Pow on December 14, 2012, 11:32:49 PM ---So far I think I understand, anything else?

--- End quote ---

Oh right, about the bracelets I mentioned.

Well, here's the skinny on them:

What are Magical Tools?

As research and understanding about magic grew over the years, people inevitably searched for ways to increase their power or find ways to overcome their weaknesses. One such result from these are the development of tools to assist the caster. One major invention is the aptly called Casting Assistant Device [CAD]. Normally, inscription and formation of a magic formula would take several seconds to finish, depending on the strength of the spell. With the use of CADs however, a spell that would normally take 3 seconds to cast would be reduced to 500 milliseconds or about 0.5 seconds. This is crucial during battles as a few seconds of an opening could mean the difference between life and death. This also helped the BURST magicians fight on par with RISE magicians. When, in the past, most RISE magicians activated a simple strengthening spell or acceleration spell, they would undoubtedly be able to reach to the BURST magician before they even finished inscription of the formula.

Of course, since a person's inscription data and formulae construction are unique, each CAD issued to magicians have to be customized in order to be used effectively. As such, no two CADs are the same.

CADs can come in a variety of shapes and forms, whether it be a staff, a gun, piece of jewelry, a sword, a spear, or even a book. Each CAD can be made to suit the magician's taste and needs.

Another innovation is the emergent use of READs (Readily Encoded and Activated Devices). These devices, unlike CADs which help the formation of a magic formula unique to a caster, already have a magic formula permanently encoded onto them. These allow them to create a set eidos structure set, albeit simpler and in weaker effect than spells cast through a CAD. Some fine examples of these are hand-held hairdryers, flashlights, short range communication devices, and other such paraphernalia. One only needs to supply it with small amount of mana, and it will activate the onboard formula. Though keep in mind that these formulas were artificially created and made from the ground up. It cannot be near as effective in battle as formulas created naturally through Magic Circuits, but for small tasks like heating air or providing light, these work wonderfully well.

--- Quote from: Caster no Mae on December 15, 2012, 12:23:21 AM ---are either Blood or Time Magic Legit?

--- End quote ---

By Blood Magic, do you mean magic that affects your blood like a RISE type magic, or magic that actively sacrifices your blood in order to inscribe a formula?

Either way, they both are plausible but not highly recommended. In the case of RISE magic that affects blood, since Magic Circuits are basically nerves and muscles, which require blood to work properly, changing the composition of the caster's blood may cause some unexpected damage to the user's Magic Circuits. And no magician worth his mana, is willing to do that.

In the case of magic which requires sacrificial blood, ALL magic could theoretically use this. In the case where the spell you are trying to cast has a higher mana recquirement than the surrounding mana can provide, (spells like these are almost always powerful enough to wipe out a city with a level 2 barrier), then the user may opt to draw forth from his own mana reserves, i.e. the structural mana that comprise his own body. By actively decomposing the molecules in his blood, bones, muscles, etc. the mana which supplied the eidos of his body can be run through his magic circuits in order to fulfill the required mana needs. Of course, this will inevitably lead to the caster's death.

There have been cases of TRANCE type magic that require blood sacrifice before they can be used. Though it's still unclear as to why. TRANCE magic is still the most mysterious type of magic as only a handful of people in the world are capable of using it.

As for Time Magic, since magic is the application of formulae to change the eidos of a physical phenomena, anything that breaks the laws of physics, i.e. Time Travel, etc. is impossible. There is a TRANCE type magic that can slow down the electrical activity in the brain, which would give opponents the sensation of time slowing down, but that's as close to "Time" magic as one can achieve with our current understanding of physics and magic.

BloodcatNS:

--- Quote from: Toffee on December 15, 2012, 12:45:31 AM ---As for Time Magic, since magic is the application of formulae to change the eidos of a physical phenomena, anything that breaks the laws of physics, i.e. Time Travel, etc. is impossible. There is a TRANCE type magic that can slow down the electrical activity in the brain, which would give opponents the sensation of time slowing down, but that's as close to "Time" magic as one can achieve with our current understanding of physics and magic.

--- End quote ---
How about a RISE type magic that affects the perception of time and accelerates the bloodflow and metabolism of a person for him/her to "normally" move in the altered time flow? This of course, would have drawbacks, like a shortening lifespan. The slower the time, the bigger the consequence especially with prolonged use.

Anyway, can mana be condensed and take a tangible form? For example, a formula like this:

Gather mana -> Increase Density

If not, then how about:

Gather air molecules -> Increase Density

I know that the second one works, but how about the first? If pure mana takes a solid form, then what are its properties? Is it acidic or safe to touch?

Mr.PowPow:

--- Quote from: BloodcatNS on December 15, 2012, 03:10:26 AM ---I know that the second one works, but how about the first? If pure mana takes a solid form, then what are its properties? Is it acidic or safe to touch?

--- End quote ---
Can't help but think about Mako for some reason lol

I'd also like to ask what exactly is the limit of magic? what abilities are a no-no?
I'm sure the possibilities for powers are vast but surely there must be a point where you say "Okay, no you can't do that"

also, slightly off-topic but when can we see this roleplay in action? :p

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version