Author Topic: Do you think that some gamehost websites and companies game reviews are bought?  (Read 7717 times)

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
Do you think gamehost websites and companies like IGN give false reviews because they're getting payed on the side?

Offline senpai_FisT

• Übermensch
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 15
  • can'twakeup.png
      • Rock'n'RollFisto!

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • A shadow of the past
Yyyyyyyeeeerrrp that pretty much sums up my consensus

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Depends on the reviewers. Big reviewers won't risk their credibility by getting bribed to write better reviews.

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • A shadow of the past
Depends on the reviewers. Big reviewers won't risk their credibility by getting bribed to write better reviews.

But IGN is a highly popular, and trusted reviewer but soetmes. Their reviews dont add up to the game too well

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi

But IGN is a highly popular, and trusted reviewer but soetmes. Their reviews dont add up to the game too well
I don't follow IGN cuz I don't trust them :/ I'm subscribed to a great gamesmagazine.

Offline senpai_FisT

• Übermensch
    Attack Member
  • can'twakeup.png
      • Rock'n'RollFisto!
And you can't ignore that Gamespot incident where an employee got fired for giving an honest review.

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • A shadow of the past
And you can't ignore that Gamespot incident where an employee got fired for giving an honest review.

The way I see it. If you see a shitton of adds for a game on a game reviewing website, odds are, they're gonna get that food review regardless how good the game is

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
they're gonna get that food review regardless how good the game is
omnomnom

PC Gamer gives legit reviews

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • A shadow of the past
Darn typos... lol, but what about the Microsoft/Sony empire? Can those reviews be trusted?

Offline Muffin

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 25
    Defense: 25
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 16
I've heard of a case where a reviewer gave Sonic 06 and 8/10. And another one where a person was threatened to give Shadow the Hedgehog a good score. Also, the Nintendo side of IGN isn't that bad, I think. Don't really know about the other parts, though.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
I seriously don't think this occurs, or at least not as frequently as people would like to believe. The argument "the scores don't add up" is silly because the review in itself is subjective anyway, its normally only one persons opinion and regardless of whether or not he/she is experienced in gaming the opinion will always have an element of bias in it. One reason why I couldn't give a damn about reviews, unless its for comedy or entertainment purposes.

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
Definitely. And it's been going on since I was reading Megadrive and Amiga magazines in the early 90's at least. Many old reviewers have spoken out about it.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Definitely. And it's been going on since I was reading Megadrive and Amiga magazines in the early 90's at least. Many old reviewers have spoken out about it.
+1. I can't agree more here.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
For all you know they could have just "spoken out" in order to promote themselves, easy publicity no matter whether its true or not. Evidence man, where's the evidence? (that's me asking for the names of these chaps)
Maybe a small amount of reviewers have been paid off, to rule it out completely would be foolhardy, but to imply its a frequent practice is a big accusation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:00:30 PM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline Toffee

• Doesn't know about the matrix.
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 4
  • Whatevs.
For all you know they could have just "spoken out" in order to promote themselves, easy publicity no matter whether its true or not. Evidence man, where's the evidence? (that's me asking for the names of these chaps)
Maybe a small amount of reviewers have been paid off, to rule it out completely would be foolhardy, but to imply its a frequent practice is a big accusation.

That kind of publicity would be BAD for reviewers. Once the public finds out that you've been paid to give good reviews on things your credibility instantly drops to nothing.
It doesn't just happen to video game reviews either. Restaurant critics, music critics, and most especially movie critics; almost anything that can be reviewed, some of those have been paid off.

Offline senpai_FisT

• Übermensch
    Attack Member
  • can'twakeup.png
      • Rock'n'RollFisto!
Also, Giantbomb is probably good considering their history. It was found by the guy and his friend who got fired for giving Kane and Kynch a bad review.

PROBABLY.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
That kind of publicity would be BAD for reviewers. Once the public finds out that you've been paid to give good reviews on things your credibility instantly drops to nothing.
It doesn't just happen to video game reviews either. Restaurant critics, music critics, and most especially movie critics; almost anything that can be reviewed, some of those have been paid off.
Nah not necessarily, sure it invalidates everything you've previously said, but its just a simple play of the sympathy card "Oh I'm a tragic villain, I've given into the dark evil that is the corrupted system. Please don't forgive me, for I do not deserve it" and people eat that shit up like its going out of style. If you're a particularly small reviewer then it just puts you on the map, if you're already relatively well known, then it sorta sets your reputation in stone. People won't remember a good review, or even a great one. But they'll remember a controversy.

I'm still unconvinced that this is an actual thing, actual bribing seems so movie gangsta cliche. Maybe a company sends them their game and some other goodies, and if its a soft as shit reviewer they think "Oh well, maybe I better be a little more lenient with their score" but I don't think companies outright say "Give me a good score and I'll make it worth your while". Nah.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:30:46 PM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
I can't remember names now, I never paid attention anyway to be honest. They said if they never gave decent reviews they would not be given a preview copy of the next game by those devs. Something like missing out on the latest big games could kill an old style magazine that people paid good money for, and everybody was trying to get exclusive hands on previews etc. Also back in the day devs used to supply magazines with game demos and things that came free with each magazine, and was a big selling point, you didn't want to upset the people that made your living.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal