Author Topic: [PS3, X360, PC] Fallout 3 - Kuro Neko  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Sir Shota

• Intellectual Elite
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 7
  • I Love My Darling~~<3
      • Missing in Action
[PS3, X360, PC] Fallout 3 - Kuro Neko
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:30:05 AM »

"War...War never changes."

I could honestly go all day with this. Fallout 3 is very much one of my favorite games in the whole wide world. Sure, I haven't really played the other two games like I should, but for now, I love Fallout 3 the most. Yet.....this doesn't keep me from giving it my brutally honest review.

Presentation

Ha ha ha....let me tell you. I bought this game used at a Gamestop for $5. Best $5 I ever spent. And I went into the damned game not knowing what I expected. And what you get is basically a very steady start into the whole thing, one by one. Bethesda made a really great decision when releasing this game, and I hope they at least look back on it when making Fallout 4. And if you ever play this game for the first time, you'll notice a whole plethora of features, hell, maybe even all at once.

" I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the End..."

Story

Okay, I'll try and keep this story as spoiler free as possible, even for the beginning sequence. The game takes place in Washington D.C. in a devastated nuclear explosion, leaving a whole variety of....interesting dangers running around, like mutated animals, zomb- I mean, Ghouls, irradiated waters, and then some. The theme has sort of a 50's vibe with a futuristic twist, so it adds to the depth of all the clothing and war propaganda running around. So......then your main character is born. Like, born born as a little baby. And here's the fun part. Your father in the game (VOICED BY LIAM F**KING NEESON) gives a basic review of your features, you know, given by you, like gender and even how you would look as an adult. When noticed this, it was sort of one of the more thoughtful moments in the game. But I'll skip the formalities and get to the general stuff. Your character grows up, and when he/she reaches a certain age, a certain incident occurs that forces you to leave the vault you were raised in. Then pits you in the world of Fallout 3, where survival is the name of the game, short and sweet.

Just your first look out of many of the Capital Wasteland you will be roaming in. Beautiful and just filled with Scenery Gorn, right~?

Gameplay

The gameplay is ah....hit or miss. Fallout 3 is technically a first person shooter, but with one click of the button, it's a third person shooter. And trust me, after that one click, you'll WANT to stay in first person shooter. There is also a free roaming aspect, which I absolutely ADORE in video games, where you carry out main missions to progress the story, or side missions just to gain experience. Oh and speaking of experience, did I also mention that this is also an RPG? Well, there, cause you're gonna love it. Each time you level up, your stats increase, as with all RPGs, and you get to have a chance to gain Perks. Perks are interesting little tidbits that change the main core of the gameplay, from gaining more damage from a certain class of guns to even killing NPCs as they are simply sleeping. You meet a variety of very....and I stress....interesting characters in your journey that will either make or break your gameplay style. You might meet a character that's a jerk, or a character that's just a sweet darlin'. Well, this is where the karma system takes its toll on you. Your karma is much more....based than in inFamous, as almost every choice you make can change your karma to the point to make you a savior of legend, or the end of all humanity. There is also a very unique build system that you may use depending on your choice of perks, guns, and armor that you will be finding. There is also a VATS system that can increase your damage as well as slowing down your sweet shots so head shots look much more satisfying. though, this can get annoying so if you do not like slow motion, then you'll HATE VATS. Honestly, this is the most I will say about the main system of Fallout 3, so again, Short and Sweet.

Trust me, that shotgun ain't gonna help ya with this big guy...

Glitches

Glitches needs its own separate category due to how.....shivering it is. Glitches are the more notorious features in the game because they come up so damn frequently. It doesn't matter if you have a used or a new copy, cause you're going to get a lot of glitches. And even if you haven't so far.....you will. Glitches in Fallout 3 can also be helpful (RARELY) due to how game breaking they can be. For example. I once accidentally wiped myself out with a freaking mini nuke, but Fallout magic applied itself and I survived...but other than that, some of the glitches can be downright disturbing, such as face switches, body distortions, or even missing bodies and just floating heads. It's the little things that count, and they count well. Even better? There are different types of glitches on the different systems! HAHAHA, there's no way you'll escape GLITCHES!!!

Be advised.

Graphics

Graphics are my other problem with this game. Not that I'm saying I'm a graphics whore, but with a story and gameplay this great, surely this game could use a lot of touch ups, am I right? well, basically, I don't think the graphics are all that because the animations are stale. They look like they belong in a PS2, or Xbox game. The character models are interesting, but, they always dive VERY deep into the Uncanny Valley when it comes to expressions, since the NPCs are always stoic. Sure, their eyebrows move a bit here or there, but other than that, stale. The creature designs look creative though, and points for them being scary as hell for the first time player as well. The Capital Wasteland overall has a very gritty and desolate look to it, never changing except for the day and night cycles. the locations are creative, and the types of mysteries are all treasures just to FIND. Capped with the 50s theme plastered everywhere, the Capital Wasteland's design is what got me going.

Uh...they sure do....you know what? I'll just post fanart just to set the mood better.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IRONSHRINEMAIDEN.

Sound

The sound is also hit or miss, depending on the situation. You'll most likely not want to hear NPCs talking in your ear 5 or 100 times, so you'll definitely get annoyed like I did. But ignoring that, the voice actors (Exception: LIAM F**KING NEESON) are very much great to hear, and you can definitely hear  their emotion, just not their character models showing it. The ambiance of the Capital Wasteland is just right, just as it should be, with you hearing only the wind, preset background music, and the tense gutters of the creatures makes you feel right in Paranoia Land. The music that can be heard on the radio is just perfect. Like, in a logical sense perfect. The only music on the radio installed in your main HUD is 50s Swing, classic colonial music, and even a whole violin station after one special mission. Think about it, like you're REALLY gonna find any more 50s swing lying around in a complete wasteland other than Butcher Pete, no? So, the radio music is a definite plus.

Lasting Appeal

*sigh* You know....as much as I'd like to go on and on about Fallout 3, I can't really spare many words for its Lasting Appeal. This game will mess you up for months, no matter what you're doing. And if you dare only go for the main story quest without doing the side quests, you'll only SCRATCH THE SURFACE. I SWEAR I'M NOT KIDDING. I've had this game for almost a year now, and I've yet to find everything there is in the darned game, since I have other games to play. But other than that, depending on your speed and how much DLC you have for this game, Fallout 3 will have you sitting down in front of your TV 6-10 hours a day for a while.

(PROS)
  • Extensive character customization system
  • Well provided gameplay, with a huge replayability scale
  • Deep story, which will have you looking for a lot of the things you need to know in the game
  • Intense nature, due to the overall look of the Capital Wasteland
  • F**KING LIAM NEESON
  • Lots of character personality in NPCs
  • Very inspiring art design

(CONS)
  • The glitches. Oh lord help me, the glitches.
  • Stale animations (after the 50th or so time)
  • Grating scripting from simply the NPCs that you pass by once or twice (but the execution of the lines are great...)
  • Very Uncanny Valley diving features that can look annoying.
  • Logic defying insanity. (And in the bad way.)

Presentation: 8.5/10
Graphics: 7.1/10
Sound: 8/10
Gameplay: 8.5/10
Lasting Appeal: 10/10 (Because I can.)

Overall: 42.1/50
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:32:11 AM by Kuro Neko » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Re: [PS3, X360, PC] Fallout 3 - Kuro Neko
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
This comment has crashed due to an internal forum error - please try rebooting your browser and try again. If this problem continues, please contact your forum administrator.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:21:21 PM »
I recommend Fallout New Vegas to you :P Less glitches (but not without) and an even more extensive character customization.

Offline Sir Shota

• Intellectual Elite
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 7
  • I Love My Darling~~<3
      • Missing in Action
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »
I recommend Fallout New Vegas to you :P Less glitches (but not without) and an even more extensive character customization.

That's what I'm trying to do, but that'll take a while for me to get cause I'm lazzzzyyyyyyy

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 4
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
I have both Fallout 3 and New Vegas in my backlog right now, and this review has just pushed me to start playing them.

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
I would have played this from start to end if the PS3 version's glitches weren't so insufferable. I actually liked it. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal