Chat > Debates

Fanboy vs Obession?

<< < (2/2)

NekoJonez:

--- Quote from: BloodcatNS on August 19, 2013, 11:45:25 AM ---Yes. But fanboy isn't even in the dictionary. It's a derogatory term for fans. See how you're using it?

--- End quote ---
Yeah.

I feel like a "fanboy" isn't such a great word either. You are right on that one.

So, those obessed fans are just the mold on the good name of the fans?

--- Quote from: msg on August 19, 2013, 11:44:48 AM ---I hate fanboys.

They actually harm the future of gaming, talented people are out there making games but if it isn't another Mario rehash people just aren't interested. No wonder all we get is a new COD every year, nobody can afford to take a chance because fanboys won't buy it.

--- End quote ---
+1.

BloodcatNS:
For the sake of differentiating fans from obsessed fans, I'm going to use "fanboys" instead.

--- Quote from: NekoJonez on August 19, 2013, 11:48:47 AM ---So, those obessed fans are just the mold on the good name of the fans?

--- End quote ---
Depends on what kind of fan they are, I suppose.

You know those CoD pricks in Youtube that declares everything is far more inferior than CoD? If that's not trolling, it's fanboyism. Those delusional Nintendo shitfucks (I'm bashing the fans, not Nintendo), that openly reassure themselves that Sony and Microsoft fans are something to be pitied, since WiiU was already released and PS4 and XboxOne still isn't? That's fanboyism. Hell, that's worse. Declaring yourself better than other types of fans nets you some justifiable hate.

But like I said before, obsessed fans are some sort of gem in a company's sales. It reassures you that at least somebody will buy the product.

NekoJonez:

--- Quote from: BloodcatNS on August 19, 2013, 11:59:26 AM ---For the sake of differentiating fans from obsessed fans, I'm going to use "fanboys" instead.

--- Quote from: NekoJonez on August 19, 2013, 11:48:47 AM ---So, those obessed fans are just the mold on the good name of the fans?

--- End quote ---
Depends on what kind of fan they are, I suppose.

You know those CoD pricks in Youtube that declares everything is far more inferior than CoD? If that's not trolling, it's fanboyism. Those delusional Nintendo shitfucks (I'm bashing the fans, not Nintendo), that openly reassure themselves that Sony and Microsoft fans are something to be pitied, since WiiU was already released and PS4 and XboxOne still isn't? That's fanboyism. Hell, that's worse. Declaring yourself better than other types of fans nets you some justifiable hate.

But like I said before, obsessed fans are some sort of gem in a company's sales. It reassures you that at least somebody will buy the product.

--- End quote ---
As a Nintendo obessed guy... Well, moment of honesty now. I don't give two fucks about Wii U being first. I just play my games how I like them. And I have a PS1 and 2 sitting on my shelf. Playing it every now and then. I just love the consoles where the game library comes close to my game style.

Mr.PowPow:
Seems like this is less about "Fanboy vs Obsession" and just about varying degrees of obsession. From a psychological point of view, those who get obsessed easily and follow a particular group avidly have been linked to low IQ and those who remain indifferent have been linked to high IQ (though there will be exceptions to the rule). In some cases mentally fragile individuals display this type of behavior, but I don't know if any particular mental disorder has been pinpointed to cult obsession.

Regardless obsession is good for the economy like Blood said, but it could be potentially bad for everyone around the person and for the person him/herself. It's a sign of deindividualization and lack of self, and those who display this behavior are actually statistically more likely to become stalkers.

Kiss x Miz:
There's a big difference between fans of a game and fans of a brand.

I don't give a shit about which brand a game belongs to. If it's a good game, I'll play it. If it's great, I'll keep playing it.

Naturally, I'll remember the brand and I'll check whether they have other good games or not. If they don't, I just move on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version