Author Topic: Fanboy vs Obession?  (Read 5201 times)

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Fanboy vs Obession?
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:59:30 AM »
Are fanboys obessed by the thing they support?

When is too far?
When is somebody a fan boy?
Are fan boys good?

Let's debate guys. It might help me with an article I'm planning.

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
Re: Fanboy vs Obession?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
Fanboy isn't an official term for it. It's "fan".

Wiki definition:
A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something, such as a band, a sports team or entertainer. Collectively, fans of a particular thing or person constitute its fanbase or fandom. They may show their enthusiasm by being members of a fan club, holding fan conventions, creating fanzines, writing fan mail, or by promoting the object of their interest and attention.
Characteristics, according to Wikipedia:
Fans usually have a strong enough interest that some changes in their lifestyles are made to accommodate devotion to the focal object. Fans have a desire for external involvement – they are motivated to demonstrate their involvement with the area of interest through certain behaviors (attending conventions, posting online, displaying team banners outside their homes, etc.). Fans often have a "wish to acquire" material objects related to the area of interest, such as a baseball hit by a famous slugger or a used guitar pick from their musical hero. As well, some fans have a desire for social interaction with other fans. This again may take many forms, from casual conversation, e-mail, chat rooms, and electronic mailing lists to regular face-to-face meetings such as fan club meetings and organized conventions.

There are several groups of fans that can be differentiated by the intensity level of their level of involvement or interest in the hobby (level of fanaticism)[2] The likelihood for a subject of interest to be elevated to the level of fandom appears to be dictated by its complexity. Complexity allows further involvement of fans for a longer period of time because of the time needed to work the subject of interest 'out.' It also contributes to a greater sense of belonging because of the mental effort invested in the subject.

Are fans obsessed? Yes. Yes they are. Although the degree of obsession varies. I don't think it's too much, though.

Are fans good? Yes. In an economical point of view, they're important. Increase fans? Increase sales. Decrease of fans? You just did something wrong. Result? Decrease in sales.

When is it too far? When it radically changes their lives. When this minor interest turns into major obsession

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:43:24 AM »
But isn't there a difference between "fan" and "fanboy'?

Like I can say that I'm a fan of the Layton series. But I'm not a fanboy that goes crazy over a new release.

See where I'm going?

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
I hate fanboys.

They actually harm the future of gaming, talented people are out there making games but if it isn't another Mario rehash people just aren't interested. No wonder all we get is a new COD every year, nobody can afford to take a chance because fanboys won't buy it.

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
Yes. But fanboy isn't even in the dictionary. It's a derogatory term for fans. See how you're using it?

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:48:47 AM »
Yes. But fanboy isn't even in the dictionary. It's a derogatory term for fans. See how you're using it?
Yeah.

I feel like a "fanboy" isn't such a great word either. You are right on that one.

So, those obessed fans are just the mold on the good name of the fans?

I hate fanboys.

They actually harm the future of gaming, talented people are out there making games but if it isn't another Mario rehash people just aren't interested. No wonder all we get is a new COD every year, nobody can afford to take a chance because fanboys won't buy it.
+1.

Offline BloodcatNS

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
For the sake of differentiating fans from obsessed fans, I'm going to use "fanboys" instead.

Depends on what kind of fan they are, I suppose.

You know those CoD pricks in Youtube that declares everything is far more inferior than CoD? If that's not trolling, it's fanboyism. Those delusional Nintendo shitfucks (I'm bashing the fans, not Nintendo), that openly reassure themselves that Sony and Microsoft fans are something to be pitied, since WiiU was already released and PS4 and XboxOne still isn't? That's fanboyism. Hell, that's worse. Declaring yourself better than other types of fans nets you some justifiable hate.

But like I said before, obsessed fans are some sort of gem in a company's sales. It reassures you that at least somebody will buy the product.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
For the sake of differentiating fans from obsessed fans, I'm going to use "fanboys" instead.

Depends on what kind of fan they are, I suppose.

You know those CoD pricks in Youtube that declares everything is far more inferior than CoD? If that's not trolling, it's fanboyism. Those delusional Nintendo shitfucks (I'm bashing the fans, not Nintendo), that openly reassure themselves that Sony and Microsoft fans are something to be pitied, since WiiU was already released and PS4 and XboxOne still isn't? That's fanboyism. Hell, that's worse. Declaring yourself better than other types of fans nets you some justifiable hate.

But like I said before, obsessed fans are some sort of gem in a company's sales. It reassures you that at least somebody will buy the product.
As a Nintendo obessed guy... Well, moment of honesty now. I don't give two fucks about Wii U being first. I just play my games how I like them. And I have a PS1 and 2 sitting on my shelf. Playing it every now and then. I just love the consoles where the game library comes close to my game style.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »
Seems like this is less about "Fanboy vs Obsession" and just about varying degrees of obsession. From a psychological point of view, those who get obsessed easily and follow a particular group avidly have been linked to low IQ and those who remain indifferent have been linked to high IQ (though there will be exceptions to the rule). In some cases mentally fragile individuals display this type of behavior, but I don't know if any particular mental disorder has been pinpointed to cult obsession.

Regardless obsession is good for the economy like Blood said, but it could be potentially bad for everyone around the person and for the person him/herself. It's a sign of deindividualization and lack of self, and those who display this behavior are actually statistically more likely to become stalkers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:12:54 PM by Mr.PowPow » »

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:53:45 PM »
There's a big difference between fans of a game and fans of a brand.

I don't give a shit about which brand a game belongs to. If it's a good game, I'll play it. If it's great, I'll keep playing it.

Naturally, I'll remember the brand and I'll check whether they have other good games or not. If they don't, I just move on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal