Chat > Rants

Belgium Holiday considered racist!?!

(1/7) > >>

NekoJonez:
(click to show/hide)
--- Quote ---An important question to all BSB supporters.

A Dutch holiday is in danger. I'll talk about it in my upcoming neko vlog as well.

On 11 November and also on 5-6 Decemeber (It depends on the area you live in. Some celebrate it on the 11th, and others on the 5th & 6th.) we celebrate Sinterklaas. (Sint-Nicolaas)

This children's holiday is extremely close to Christmas. (Which we celebrate as well) Yet, instead of Santa Claus, there is a holy man involved. Called Sinterklaas. And instead of elves working for him, he has people working for them.

Because Sinterklaas walks over the roofs at night and let's his helpers go through chimney's to deliver the presents to the children, they get black due to the ashes and  materials inside the chimney. To ease the costume and make the story more real for the children, the helpers (called "Black Pete") are displayed completely black.

Now, these Black Petes aren't abused or anything. Yet, the United Nations thinks that this is racist. And many people are sadly following suit without talking to a Dutch person about it. It's as stupid as making Santa's elves bigger because the little people are complaining or not serving turkey at Thanksgiving because Greenpeace is complaining.

To be clear, I'm no racist in any kind. A couple of my buddies over the internet are actually not white. And does it make a difference? Nah, not really.

Think about how it would feel if your local tradition suddenly becomes controversial and the whole world around you blindly follows suit. We need to stand up against this idiotic move of this world. Please aid the Dutch people like myself and spread the word how silly this is.

The Dutch people made a Facebook page and after one day, it got over 1 million likes. In addition to that, the first statement of a researcher of the UN claimed that only the Netherlands should stop. This clearly shows their research isn't going deep enough since it's also celebrated in Belgium. - Sigh -

If you are interested in signing our petitions, tell me. I gladly give you the link(s).

I'm open to discussing this matter, yet keep it civil. ;3. 

Thanks for listing to my rant and have a great day.

~ Signed NekoJonez.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, silly no?

Here are more articles: https://www.google.be/search?q=Sinterklaas+is+racist&oq=Sinterklaas+is+racist&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j0l4.3841j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=Sinterklaas+is+racist&tbm=nws

Cupcake Fury:
Huh never knew that was a thing, but yeah thats dumb of them to think its racist :l

O:\msg:
Welcome to modern society Jonez.

Mr.PowPow:

--- Quote from: msg on October 24, 2013, 06:18:18 PM ---Welcome to modern society Jonez.

--- End quote ---
Pretty much, I remember when the nursery rhyme "Baa Baa Black Sheep" was banned just for having the word black in it. Some even changed it to Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep. Bloody ridiculous.

O:\msg:
I also heard in schools you couldn't call them blackboards anymore, it had to be chalkboards. God knows what banning the word black is actually going to achieve. Surely promoting black as equal is the way to go, not hiding it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version