Author Topic: [PS3] Journey Review  (Read 3175 times)

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
[PS3] Journey Review
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »
Insert biased comments here.

Presentation

thatgamecompany, the developers of the PSN-exclusives "flOw" and "Flower," have managed to top themselves this time with the game "Journey." I'm not sure what else to say about it that thousands of other reviews haven't already said before giving the game a perfect 10/10, so here goes.

Gameplay

So let's talk about the gameplay first. The core part of the game. Well, actually, it's not the core of the game. But let's talk about it anyway.

The gameplay is very simplistic. Walk to an area, search for secrets, progress. With circle, you can call/sing/yawp/whatever you call it to activate various things without getting close, or call strips of cloth toward you to give you a little boost. With cross, you jump....if there are little symbols and things on your character's scarf. Other than walking, these are the only things you can do in the game. But it's not bad. It's actually very very good. It's not obtrusive to the game at all. I would be surprised if you could actually do MORE.

With all these skills, you traverse the lands and find secrets. There are no puzzles in this game. Just pretty environments and nooks and crannies to explore. However, you only get a limited area to explore. Granted, this is a fairly linear game. There are no multiple endings here. It doesn't even take more than 2-4 hours to fully complete this game. In the end, though, most people would want to play even more than one playthrough. It's worth it, too.

Now, if you're connected to PSN while playing, you have the chance to meet up with another player. You never know who they are other than a symbol similar to the one you see above your head when you call. Speaking of calling...that's the only way to talk to them. However, it's very intuitive and expressive. For example, jamming the button repeatedly can convey that you want your companion to come to you, if the other player takes it that way. A long press could be taken as a call to be repeated so you know where your companion is. In addition to calling, hudding together can boost the symbols on your scarf. That mechanic really adds to a certain part of the game and just deepens the mood the area gives off.

Sound

Speaking of adding to the mood, the music of Journey really adds a lot. Whether it's a few moments of silence, save for the wind through the sand or the echoing of something in the distance, or an otherworldly melody, it's always changing depending on the situation. For example, take the very beginning. There's silence, but when you take your first steps up that first sand dune, a strange, resounding melody begins to play. Then you see your destination. Your ultimate goal of the game. It invokes a sense of purpose. A sense of longing toward that goal. You have to get it. You have to see what's there.

And that's the initial story, too. You walk up a sand dune and see a shining mountain in the distance. The camera angle changes so you can see it perfectly. It actually locks into this position until you begin to move off of the sand dune. That's your only indication of a goal that's ever given. Backstory to the game is provided via glyph-like images hidden throughout each area and the few cutscenes that do exist. As with thatgamecompany's previous games...no text. All you're provided with is imagery and music, so the story is basically however you see it.

Graphics

And here we are, at the final paragraph. What topic are we on now...let's see...ah, graphics! The bread to the butter. The graphics have a very minimal feel to them, but are very detailed in their own way. With the light of the area, you can occasionally see each individual grain of sand, but other times you will only see it as a collective sand dune. The amount of detail they put into the graphics while still keeping them so minimal and beautiful is nothing short of wonderful.

----PROS----
  • Minimalistic music adds to the feel of the game
  • Beautiful hand-crafted graphics give off the perfect balance of minimalism, simplicity, and detail
  • Passive multiplayer adds to the experience
----CONS----
  • The game is very short, only clocking in at 2-4 hours of total gameplay
  • Limited area to explore
RATING: 9.99/10

TL;DR: Am i doin it rite
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:36:10 PM by Toffee » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Re: [PS3] Journey Review
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
I like this style of reviewing since I review this way myself :3
In way of lay-out...

But I haven't written an English review just yet.

Offline Noob

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:06:16 AM »
Only 2-4 hours? D=, but nice review nonetheless

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:09:57 AM »
Only 2-4 hours? D=

From what I understand, the game is supposed to be played all at once so each part of the game is still fresh in your mind. 2-4 hours actually makes playing the entire game start to finish in one sitting pretty easy.

I still wanted a longer game, though. Would have been nice to see exactly what happens before and after the parts of the game we actually got.

Sorry for the double-post, but I forgot to talk about the emotional impact of this game. The only way I can explain it is to explain what happened to me on my first playthrough. I'll try not to spoil anything.

When I got into the 2nd area, I met the player I played the rest of the game with. I felt so alone in the game... It almost felt like I had to turn on some multiplayer component and I forgot to...then I heard them call out. I turned the camera and saw them walk up to me and chirp at me excitedly. I chirped back, happy to see another player. It felt like the game was placing someone within my session to make me feel less alone. To help me along, almost. This other player and I stumbled about for a few minutes, trying to get accustomed to being able to have another player nearby.

We got into our rhythm and everything seemed much brighter. We were speeding past sand dunes and into the various areas of the game and it felt like this mystery player and I had some kind of connection. And then...in the final area... I thought I lost them.

I stopped and chirped frantically for them before realizing I had to go on alone. And after transitioning into the next area, I found them again. I was sure it was them. Our rhythm was still present. There was no fumbling to try and make a connection at all. Their symbol was the same, too.

I felt so relieved. More relieved over this mystery person, over this video game, than I had over any character in any other game I had ever played.

...And at the end, when it showed the people I had met....there was only one of that person's symbol. It really WAS my companion. The one I had toiled through most of the game with.

Now all I want to do is contact them to thank them for making that a memorable gaming experience. Whatever they showed at the end, when it showed the people I had met...I forgot it all in my wish to stop and reflect on the game before doing anything else. There are no words to explain how this makes me feel. The only thing close enough would be to post a 'I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION' GIF. These feelings linger...even this long after my first playthrough.

God I wish thatgamecompany got a 10-game deal with Sony instead of just three...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:45:52 AM by ThisIsNotInu » »

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 4
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
I took the liberty of separating the sections to make it easier to locate specific parts of the review.

All in all, a solid review. I would have liked it if you also mentioned the replayability of the game, but you did very well explaining the emotional and psychological aspects of the game. Aspects, which in a game this short, no doubt should leave a lasting impact.

On a more personal note, you have succeeded in doing what every review aims to do, which is to draw attention to the game. While I may not own a PS3 (yet), I am very interested in the game now. Especially now that I know this is from the same creators of flOw and Flower.

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:10:16 AM »
On a more personal note, you have succeeded in doing what every review aims to do, which is to draw attention to the game. While I may not own a PS3 (yet), I am very interested in the game now. Especially now that I know this is from the same creators of flOw and Flower.
I should do a review of Cloud then, seeing as that's thatgamecompany's only PC game.

Wait, I think I will.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:11:36 AM by ThisIsNotInu » »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal