Author Topic: Woh dat minimum wage  (Read 7628 times)

Offline TyranBrûlée

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 0
    Defense: 1
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 22
  • お尻とおっぱいお尻とおっぱい
Woh dat minimum wage
« on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:19 AM »

So I've seen this image circulating Tumblr for a while.

I feel this will soon turn into a debate because of how controversial it is, but it is news, so I put it here.

Personally, I'd rather have had them keep minimum wage lower, because based on my limited knowledge of economics, this will only come back and bite the American economy in the ass.

So before I go any further into my banter, what are your opinions on this? 

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
Re: Woh dat minimum wage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:42:18 AM »
I only make 9.29/hr :(

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »
It balances out all those places in the US that keep raising the prices without raising the wages, yet expecting that people will still be able to pay for the same things.

Offline TyranBrûlée

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 0
    Defense: 1
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 22
  • お尻とおっぱいお尻とおっぱい
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 07:27:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure (a.k.a. certain) prices will only get higher when other places start to follow in Seattle's tracks.
See: Inflation.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
I make minimum wage in Belgium.

Little over $15/h

Shit's a lot more expensive sadly.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »
Honestly, I believe it will help keep the money flowing throughout the economy. Will it lead to inflation? Possibly. I still believe a little inflation is what we actually need right now

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »
Honestly, I believe it will help keep the money flowing throughout the economy. Will it lead to inflation? Possibly. I still believe a little inflation is what we actually need right now
Inflation in the US -> Value of USD drops
Massive debt = More dollars being printed -> Value of USD drops
Less oil produced -> Value of USD drops

Pretty sure your economy is doomed to fall into a massive crisis in the next 30-50 years.

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
Minimum wage is shit. People don't try hard at school because they can get a job as a cleaner and earn as much as the guy that did try hard. Companies only pay minimum wage to qualified staff now because they can't get cleaners or labourers cheap and can't afford to pay anymore.

Offline Caster no Mae

• Elite Member
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 3
  • Guru Guru Fluff~
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
Minimum wage is shit. People don't try hard at school because they can get a job as a cleaner and earn as much as the guy that did try hard. Companies only pay minimum wage to qualified staff now because they can't get cleaners or labourers cheap and can't afford to pay anymore.

you mean Companies pay Minimum wage cos they can't buy cheap labor any cheaper due to law being in Place to protect the labor force's rights?

if there was no minimum wage we might as well go back to Slavery or work for piece of bread like in Ancient times

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »

you mean Companies pay Minimum wage cos they can't buy cheap labor any cheaper due to law being in Place to protect the labor force's rights?

if there was no minimum wage we might as well go back to Slavery or work for piece of bread like in Ancient times
Companies can't afford to pay qualified people good wages when they are forced to pay useless pricks with no qualifications £6.30 an hour just to sweep up. There's no point going to university anymore, you end up in massive debt that takes years to pay back and you can get almost as much money tossing it off in school then sweeping somebody's floor.

Why do you think all our companies are outsourcing to China? They get more done for cheaper. It's a viscous circle, we're slowing killing our jobs by greed and laziness and soon there will be nothing, not even if you go to school and work hard.

It's OK trying to protect the poor and vulnerable but they don't even have to try anymore to make a decent living, we're producing a world full of lazy idiots. I feel sorry for the people that do work hard during and after school but get no reward, the middle class such as welders, mechanics etc. They are the real losers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:18:31 AM by msg » »

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
People with minimum wage barely scrape by here.

My sister works 50 hours/week on average (officially 38) not counting her having to be available in the weekends. 80% of her wage goes straight to the rent of her humble apartment. She barely has enough left to eat for the entire month, let alone save up some money.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
msg - I agree with your perspective but then again you have to remember that not just cuz you work minimum wage doesn't mean you aren't working hard or that you have been lazy or whatever. Also, not everybody can go to school because of several circumstances. The reason they have minimum wage is to protect people like that. Examples being people who maybe have their dad pass away and had to drop out of school to work full time to support their family or people who were mistreated by their parents or orphans who didn't go to school or whatever. Minimum wage was created as protection for them.

Offline Joel16

• Intellectual Elite
  • Attack: 97
    Defense: 98
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 8
  • Be lost in an eternal illusion.
      • Joel16's Projects
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
Whoa that minimum wage.*
 >:D

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 10:06:50 PM »
msg - I agree with your perspective but then again you have to remember that not just cuz you work minimum wage doesn't mean you aren't working hard or that you have been lazy or whatever. Also, not everybody can go to school because of several circumstances. The reason they have minimum wage is to protect people like that. Examples being people who maybe have their dad pass away and had to drop out of school to work full time to support their family or people who were mistreated by their parents or orphans who didn't go to school or whatever. Minimum wage was created as protection for them.
Benefits are there for the vulnerable and people that can't work.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »
Benefits are there for the vulnerable and people that can't work.
The people who can work should at least have an equal income.

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »

Why? Not everybody is equal. Imagine working your ass off in school, never having a day off despite being sick and really wanting to get along in life. Then some drug user that didn't go to school and couldn't care less comes along and gets the same wage as you.

Offline Princess

• Elite Member
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »
Why? Not everybody is equal.
I know right?
So why is the government trying to make things equal for them?
Same thing like schools
Why should the government fund schools?
Schools should be a private thing for us rich and privileged

Those poor lazy sub-human scum don't deserved any education
What do they think they are trying to do?
Trying to get EQUAL education like us?

Peasants please

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
I know right?
Same thing like schools

Peasants please

All education in the UK IS equal, and I guess it's the same in Europe too seen as we're all run by the EU in Brussels. If you dont go to school your parents get fined or could even go to jail! So yeah, point about education is null and void.

I'm talking about people that don't try because they don't have to and people that do try are the ones that are suffering.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »
I know right?
Same thing like schools

Peasants please

Slavery awaits once you claim the throne

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
Those with educations get paid far more than those on minimum wage. Minimum wage gets you maybe around $20-25K a year if you're lucky, while first-year college graduates get paid nearly $50-60K. I don't know what you mean by "the lazy scum get paid equal". Plus, as I've said NOT ALL MINIMUM WAGE ARE LAZY SCUM. You DO NOT know their circumstances. Not all can afford great education and several are forced to leave school for many reasons out of their control. The government does right by protecting them using minimum wage. Or else we might as well go back to the age of slavery.

Not every person has like me who's family has plenty of money and can afford educations and is offered scholarships from places all across the country. Not everybody is privelaged and blessed to go on and follow their dreams because of reasons unforeseen. You must remember this. Not everybody is equal

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
If you want to be lazy, come to Belgium. Government pays you minimum wage when you don't have a job for the rest of your life. Belgians and foreigners alike. Too many easy loopholes in our system.

I hope the elections in 2 weeks can change that somewhat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal