Author Topic: [Priom Does a First Impression]Pokemon White  (Read 5649 times)

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • UwU
[Priom Does a First Impression]Pokemon White
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
Well...before I start I want to say that this is my first ever review-article thingy I'm doing so I dunno how well it"ll be but I hope is up to the point and I don't mess things up. Without further ado. Here Goes:

Pokemon White

Introduction:
Ahh...Pokemon the beginning of my life as both an anime-lover and a gamer. So many fond memories with this colorful little series. Yet for one reason or another I really didn't do anything pokemon related for a long time. But I finally came back with pokemon white. Of course I chose white because Zekrom looks cooler and Reshiram looks like a goat-chicken combo. But I hope this first impression works for both games. Also I think it's worth mentioning, I'll be doing this first-impression with 3 major categories and  so let's start.

Story:
Opening:
You know, I think a good opening scene is very important for a video game, especially an rpg.It's just that, A good video game intro can get you hyped to actually play the game and it makes you wonder what's going on and how you'll take part in it .And the intro for Pokemon  White surprisingly does just that. See after you start the game and you see the Game Freak logo you are graced with this intro:

And it already raises so many questions. Is this some sort of cultist group?Are they choosing their new prophet? Are they good guys? Are they bad guys? Will I take part in this? There are so many questions that come right of the bat that you can really get hyped to actually play the game and I love that.

Story:
At it's base Pokemon White follows the same story as previous Pokemon games. Become the pokemon champion while saving the world in the process. What Pokemon White does new though is how the story is executed. You see, unlike previous Pokemon games this game has a lot of cutscene like events happening quite often,which really fleshes out the story and I hope this game and future installments such as Pokemon X and Y follow this trend. Because it's good and it gives you more reason to continue to play the game.

Something else I like about the story is the evil organization. In previous Pokemon games the evil organizations were the bad guys, that part was obvious to you and the members of the said organization. But here Team Plasma isn't convinced that what they are doing is evil, they are evil in their execution of their plan but they speak of justice and liberation of Pokemon which really gets you into thinking whether their action actually have any justification.

Characters:
The characters in this game are definitely a step up from previous iterations. Most of the major characters in the game seem to have a unique personality of his/her own. For example in this game you have two rivals Bianca and Cheren and by the very beginning of the game you can tell how they are the opposite of each other.First you have Bianca:

Who seems to be a bit clumsy,somewhat inconsiderate character.And the you have Cheren:

A guy with deep black hear,wears glasses and tends to be the more calculative and considerate type. Umm...Can I play as Cheren instead?
And the same goes for the gym leaders. I've fought only the first one so far,Cilan:

He seems to be the most timid of his trio and I have a hunch that he likes grass type Pokemon. Just a hunch.

But the other npcs are pretty lame though. I mean most of the non-important  npcs just spit out some sort of random in-game information  or says something worth a chuckle or two. Why? In an age where games compete to be more immersive why is this so out-dated. Even Pokemon's fellow nintendo franchise The Legend of Zelda has awesome npcs that make the game feel more real. Why can't Pokemon do the same?

Graphics & Sound:
Overall:
The graphics of this game is pretty Ok if you ask me. I mean it definitely appeals to me and it definitely looks a lot better than Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. I especially like the protagonist's animations and all the other sprites are nice too.Wait..a..sec:

Omg the lady on the back of the room doesn't have eyes! How did that happen?!

Well..umm in any case. Something else I like is how the game doesn't shy away from showing off how good it looks like.

The Pokemon evolution looks like it belongs in Digimon though.

Battle:

Your Pokemons aren't just soulless sprites anymore yey!

Music:
What can I say about this one. Pokemon White sounds like Pokemon and I'm perfectly ok with that. Don't fix something that ain't broken,eh?

Gameplay and Mechanics:
Gameplay doesn't differ much from previous Pokemon games. In fact this game retains most of it's ancestors' gameplay elements turn based battles,hms and the likes. But I do have to say this the UI is better than previous Pokemon games by a long shot.

It looks nice and it's easily usable. Just perfect.
This game is supposed to have triple battles right? I didn't have any of those. Ironic considering the very first gym leader is a trio.

There is something I don't like about the gameplay. But before I get to that I just have to say something. Today we live in a world where games are becoming better and more immersive day by day. video games,especially rpgs are like hunters in a wild hunt to add each and every unique thing to add to their collection,to make them better and to make the players have an amazing experience.
So I ask you this:WHY ARE RANDOM ENCOUNTERS STILL A THING?

I mean come on if this was an earlier pokemon game I guess it could have been excused. Previous handhelds couldn't handle having random enemies on screen. But the DS can definitely handle it. Radiant Historia has enemies on screen. So this is just inexcusable. I mean come on think about it you're in the world of Pokemon. There should be wild pokemon all over the place for you to interact with. They aren't just supposed to be hidden in some random patch of tall grass. It's just sad I tell you.

Conclusion:
So with that, I conclude my first ever first impression article. I think I talked about most if not all the important points that caught my eye in the game. But I haven't exactly shown you something have I? My Pokemon team obviously. So here it is:

As you can see currently I use only two Pokemon Ao Quang the Oshowatt(Now Dewott) and Kit the Purrloin. Because you know, Purrloins are cat Pokemon.Kit the Kat.KitKat.

So I guess that's that. But I still feel something is missing. Something that's practiacally a cliche for me.Now what was it?
OH yea.
Now I remember
(click to show/hide)

And that ladies and gentlemen. That concludes my review.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:54:35 AM by PriomBlazer » »

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Re: [Priom Does a First Impression]Pokemon White
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »
My first impression of your first first impression is impressively positive.

Offline Joel16

• Intellectual Elite
  • Attack: 97
    Defense: 98
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 8
  • Be lost in an eternal illusion.
      • Joel16's Projects
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:28:28 AM »
Might wanna make use of the space-bar when it comes to punctuation. After every full stop and question mark, you haven't left any space. Apart from that, nice review thingy :P

Edit: You just got grammar nazi'd  >:D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:30:39 AM by Joel16 » »

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • UwU
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:07:04 PM »
Might wanna make use of the space-bar when it comes to punctuation. After every full stop and question mark, you haven't left any space. Apart from that, nice review thingy :P

Edit: You just got grammar nazi'd  >:D
Fixed dat shizzle

Your positive first impression of my first first impression impresses me

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
Your positive first impression of my first first impression impresses me
Impressive

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal