Author Topic: Swaggy's Incredibly Tacky Top Games of 2016  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
Swaggy's Incredibly Tacky Top Games of 2016
« on: January 06, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »
I was planning on doing this earlier, but I fell ill and some other stuff you probably don't care about, but you probably don't care about this list anyways, but I don't care because I'm writing it whether you care or not!

What made the Super Special Awesome Mega List

Unlike other lists on this site, it's composed of games released only in 2016. Since I have only truly completed one 2016 game, all the games come with a big fat asterisk because opinions can most certainly change after actually finishing the game. In the list, I will also include how many hours I actually poured into each game so you can have an idea as to why I feel a certain way. Also, I only have a top 5 since I have not actually played many games due to a lot of personal issues and some other bullshit, but I know y'all didn't come here to read about my personal problems, so here it is!

Honorable Mentionssssss

Madden 17 [PS4] (100+ hours)
Once again, the yearly Madden release finds its way onto my shelf whether I have anything to do with it or not. (really, my brother trades the old ones in and does some weird voodoo shit to somehow get the new one free every year, so why not?!) Another year, another buggy as shit American Football game that's still fun as hell no matter how technically unsound it consistently proves to be with every damn release. I still think the Connected Franchise mode is one of the best things to have happened to sports gaming in most recent memory, and as long as Madden keeps building on that success, it will be on top of my lists every year.

Pokemon GO [iOS] (no idea how many hours)
Yeah, the game was flawed and got old reaaaaal quick, but there's no denying that for a couple months after release, it was probably the all-time single most played game at any given moment. Something about walking around like the badass Pokemon trainer you always dreamed to be as a child sparked some real shit in us all and made us want to be the very best like no one ever was. Ultimately, it failed to deliver on all its promises before the fanbase dwindled down to just a fraction of what it was. sigh, the potential...

Fire Emblem Fates (completed Conquest, 7 hours into Birthright)
I don't actually think this deserves a spot on any list, but since it is the only game I completed this year, I'll give it the honorable mention. It wasn't a bad game; I actually loved Conquest, and it would likely take the #5 spot on my list if it weren't for the following reasons. I just hate how to get the full experience, we needed to pay for an extra game and a shit ton of DLC. I'm not dealing with that bullshit. No way. Sorry.

My SUPER MEGA AWESOME SPECIAL SWAGGY List

#5 Pokemon Sun/Moon (~10 hours on Sun)

This game was really fun from what I played so far, don't get me wrong, but I have it in the bottom of my top 5 because it's failed to recapture the magic of the old games. While it's done a better job at it than X/Y, it hasn't been enough. I still think the new generations of Pokemon are getting exponentially worse. What I love about this game, though, is how they mixed up the formula quite a bit. Gone are the days of 8 gym battles and whatnot and in comes the days of island trials! I'll see how my opinion on the game changes as I actually get to play more into it. Also, I like the festival feature so far.

#4 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (~8 hours)

Here's a game that is surprising I have yet to finish because it is relatively short and I am a huge (emphasis on HUGE) fan of the series. I really don't have an explanation as to why I haven't yet, but it will come in due time... I have played around 10 or so chapters of it and it's as great as the other games, really no other way to put it. A good but not too overly serious story, intriguing puzzles, and an excellent combat system supported by an incredible cast of characters and voice actors along with a solid soundtrack makes this a no-brainer top 10 for any gamer.

#3 Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (~20 Hours)

What this game lacks in overarching story, it more than makes up for in intriguing episodic stories. It takes all the things we know and love about DQ and puts it in an anthology-like game where the stories don't actually connect (at least not up to the point I played) but they have their own spice to keep it interesting with every new island you explore. As much as I played into it, new features are still being revealed so its' cool to know there's still plenty to do outside the supposedly 70+ hour main storyline.

#2 FIFA 17 [PS4] (100+ hours)

FIFA had to make it to this list. Every year it tops sales. Every year it's among the most played games. It never fails to entertain. Nothing beats hanging around with friends giving them a nice warm soothing can of ass-whooping on FIFA. Especially after a relatively down year in FIFA 16, the younger 17 version seemed to rekindle whatever spark 16 was missing. I have not personally tried it, but I've heard great things about the new Journey mode, and I'm looking forward to trying it out soon. FIFA 17 also introduces tons of new drills and practice modes along with competitive mini-games.

#1 FINAL FANTASY XV [PS4] (25 hours)

What? What's this? A new Final Fantasy was released? And it does not suck? Oh no, the world must be ending!!! No seriously, this game is fantastic. While the battle system seems simplistic at first, you will soon come to learn that the game will punish you for not taking the time to actually learn everything it has to offer. This game ditched Final Fantasy's standard story-telling and went for a chapter approach a la FFXIII but with an actual open world this time. The story is solid and 25 hours in, and I've already played one of the best boss fights I've ever had in the entire series. Driving in the car seems kinda linear and boring but you can leave and walk at any time, but trust me when I say riding in the car is relaxing as you get to enjoy the scenic side of the game. The real highlight of the game is honestly the 4 main characters as you get to grow along with them as the game goes on. Throw in plenty of Side Quests and Bounty Hunts and you've got yourself a legitimately awesome game worthy of the franchise name!

Well, there you have it, my top 5. Feel free to leave any useful thoughts and comments (or hateful comments about how awful my list is and how pathetic of a gamer I am). Love y'all!

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Re: Swaggy's Incredibly Tacky Top Games of 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »
This is absolutely the worst list I've seen on this thread!

And that doesn't say a lot.

Cool beans, bud.

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • UwU
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »
Nice list. I'm still wishing for ffxv for PC.

Also I actually might've helped start some discussion in arpegi in the form of top tens. So yay!

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »
best thing i've heard all year :')

and ya priom, you just might lol. it was fun trying to put it together honestly

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 06:22:03 PM »
best thing i've heard all year :')

It's still too early in the year to claim that.

Offline devon

• Intellectual Elite
  • Attack: 70
    Defense: 58
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -663
  • Close your tab now.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:15:20 AM »
Not a list I care for at all but you're free to collect a participation award if any are being given out.

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
Not a list I care for at all but you're free to collect a participation award if any are being given out.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Attack Member
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
Wow, apart from Pokémon, we have a very different list. I have played DQ VII, but not enough to consider putting it on my top 10 list. I haven't posted it on the forum but on my blog. :D

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
Also I'm just gonna leave this here since I can't wait for a more relevant moment to post this

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
oh no the image is gone already.

that's what you get for being too lazy to upload your own images

meh, ill fix it later