Chat > Debates

Are RPG's better or worse?

(1/3) > >>

O:\msg:
In my opinion modern RPG's are much worse than previous generations, I prefer JRPG's such as Final Fantasy over Elder Scrolls but not by much. JRPG's are virtually dead this gen, we have a couple like Tales of Vesperia and Xenoblade which are decent but nothing mind blowing.

On the other hand WRPG's like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect have arrived big time and I love them, but I don't see them as RPG's, I see them as shooters with RPG elements. It's brilliant they blended the two genres together so well, but it's kinda killing RPG's.

What are your thoughts?

iluvfupaburgers:
i feel today's JRPGs are getting too generic. almost all of them feel the same and story is similar in some way. i think they need a fresh start (even though i still love them). while western RPGs as fallout or elder scrolls, well, i believe they are something videogames needed. total control of gameplay, find it refreshing and love the freedom it gives you. I still consider them RPGs, well, action RPGs since they do have the elements for it such as leveling up, character customization, etc

BloodcatNS:
Well, the classic RPG formula IS getting reused every single time. Maybe it's better to blend it with other genres. To be honest, RPG is better that way, hell, I even think it's unintentionally made to be blend with other genres.

Mr.PowPow:
JRPG's seem to be living in the shadows of the old final fantasy's, since they have to find ways to rise from above this self-proclaimed titan....they tend to not put much effort into the story and focus on beating FF's weakness, its repetitive gameplay formula. But really they should be trying to improve the stories since thats the entire point of RPG's.

PriomBlazer:
For some reason whenever I hear jrpgs are doing worse I feel like blaming x360

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version