Author Topic: Science vs Religion: Is there a God?  (Read 57969 times)

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
Re: Science vs Religion: Is there a God?
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »
Most likely, I think we are always a little unsure about our beliefs, sometimes we need to knock down others opinions/beliefs in order to strengthen what we already believe. Its a sad fact but we all do it at some point in our lives, its just a simple coping mechanism and extends further than just religion, we tend to do it with anything we hold strongly.

However in my time watching debates, I will admit that the atheists do tend to enter the argument with a more detailed knowledge of religion than the ones who believe in it, though the believes have a more emotional understanding and delve deeper into it, but lack the knowledge of whats actually written in the bible. So it does end in atheists favor most of the time. Though, not that I'm siding with atheists, I'm agnostic.

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »
I'm not fussy myself, if somebody wants to believe thats cool, I won't knock it, my mrs is a catholic and strongly believes. I'm all in favour of living in a religious household, I sort of stick to the lifestyle and follow the moral side, but I just don't believe in the existence of god. Religion has its uses even to people like me, its set the base for a good society and if you follow it, you won't be a bad person.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »
When your brain dies, your existence dies aswell.
This 'soul' thing is just a creation of our complex brain. So it dies along with our brain.
There's no reason for nature to create something as consoling as reincarnation or heaven.

It will never be 'you' ever again.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
God doesnt demand worship. Think about it this way:

Your mom: she gave birth to you, nursed you, cared for you, raised you. It only makes sense that you thank her for it all. She doesnt demand you to return the favor. What do you do? Give her money, food, care for her, comfort her.

God: Gave you your mom, Your life, nourishment, money, family, health, a chance for the ultimate reward. What do you do? You can't even so much as accept his existence. You can't even thank worship/him. 24 hours in 1 day and you can't even spend 10-15 minute of it for worship?

Gods not selfish for wanting to be worshipped. Humans are selfish for wanting everything without regards to their creator.

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
I agree Mizari. It gives people comfort though, thinking their loved ones are waiting for them and their life won't just end. You can't knock that, it's only themselves that it will hurt, or not, because they won't even ever realise their mistake.
All you can do is present people with both sides and let them decide which is best for them, without trying to force it on them.

God doesnt demand worship. Think about it this way:

Your mom: she gave birth to you, nursed you, cared for you, raised you. It only makes sense that you thank her for it all. She doesnt demand you to return the favor. What do you do? Give her money, food, care for her, comfort her.

God: Gave you your mom, Your life, nourishment, money, family, health, a chance for the ultimate reward. What do you do? You can't even so much as accept his existence. You can't even thank worship/him. 24 hours in 1 day and you can't even spend 10-15 minute of it for worship?

Gods not selfish for wanting to be worshipped. Humans are selfish for wanting everything without regards to their creator.
What are your thoughts about evolution? What about dinosaurs etc?
How do you explain how our DNA matches a neanderthal found in spain and some other pre human from Africa?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:25:23 PM by msg » »

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »
God created his creatures as they are. There is no such thing as evolution. Everything here is and always has been what it was. God made some creatures similar and humans then think: "oh they must be our ancestors."

I don't know how you atheists gladly accept a fucking monkey as your gran and gramps and can't even accept that an all powerful creator made and sustained you.

I refuse to believe that I am from some stinky, mindless, crazy animal. Not only do I refuse, but my beliefs say otherwise.

Nothing in my religion rejects the existence of dinosaurs, so they exist until proven unexistent (IMO)

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
God created his creatures as they are. There is no such thing as evolution. Everything here is and always has been what it was. God made some creatures similar and humans then think: "oh they must be our ancestors."

I don't know how you atheists gladly accept a fucking monkey as your gran and gramps and can't even accept that an all powerful creator made and sustained you.

I refuse to believe that I am from some stinky, mindless, crazy animal. Not only do I refuse, but my beliefs say otherwise.

Nothing in my religion rejects the existence of dinosaurs, so they exist until proven unexistent (IMO)
What about DNA evidence proving we did come from these "stinky, mindless monkeys"?
Why is evolution so hard to believe but a magic dude that nobody ever saw, isn't?

Science is giving evidence everyday and god gives nothing to counter it. You do understand why people don't believe don't you?

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2012, 11:01:23 PM »
^i didn't have an answer to the DNA thing, but I asked a scholar a few minutes ago and he told me that many things were created for a test. He brought up a question that is very similar in answer:

Why does god make sexy/pretty girls if he doesn't want fornication?
The answer is pretty simple: It's all a test, to see if you give in to your temptation or if you keep your belief and rememberence in God.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
Conclusion: Austin is brainwashed by his parents & community ^-^

That's kinda how I see religion.
I'm not going to worship the big bang for creating me.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2012, 03:25:26 AM »
Conclusion: Austin is brainwashed by his parents & community ^-^

That's kinda how I see religion.
I'm not going to worship the big bang for creating me.
The way I see it, you guys are brainwashed by all the luxuries of this life that you refuse to let *some* of it go away. Humility isn't in your dictionary

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2012, 04:15:18 AM »
The way I see it, you guys are brainwashed by all the luxuries of this life that you refuse to let *some* of it go away. Humility isn't in your dictionary
What luxury? My life is shit. These weeks have been like the first time in my life I can actually be happy.
Think before you make such a stupid statement.
I don't believe because I don't want someone or something to guide me.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13:31 AM »
What luxury? My life is shit. These weeks have been like the first time in my life I can actually be happy.
Think before you make such a stupid statement.
I don't believe because I don't want someone or something to guide me.
i didn't mean luxury as in money. Luxury as in this life itself and everything you own in which you love so deeply. I'm not saying its wrong to love it. That would make me a hypocrite because I love my luxury.

And all humans need guidance despite what they think. Whether its divine or physical, they need guidance

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
And all humans need guidance despite what they think. Whether its divine or physical, they need guidance
We have google ;)

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
    Attack Member
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »
i didn't mean luxury as in money. Luxury as in this life itself and everything you own in which you love so deeply. I'm not saying its wrong to love it. That would make me a hypocrite because I love my luxury.

I was talking about that same luxury you just specified...

People need guidance when they're kids. But further in your life, the need for guidance is only for the weak and uncertain.

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
But further in your life, the need for guidance is only for the weak and uncertain.
Independence is good. But it can't hurt to turn to someone when you're uncertain along the way. Trust me, I've been observing everyone around me enough to know that uncertainty is really much more frequent than you make it out to be. Some people are just too stubborn to admit that they are.

Plus, you make it sound like it's a dog-eat-dog with your "only for the weak and uncertain" phrase you just mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:47:25 PM by BloodcatNS » »

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:53 PM »
Trust me, I've been observing everyone around me enough to know that uncertainty is really much more frequent than you make it out to be. Some people are just too stubborn to admit that they are.
Not at my age. I've done it all and bought the T shirt, made every mistake there was to make, and now I use my experience wisely and I'm very very rarely wrong or make a mistake. I'm uncertain as to how to use a new washing machine or something, but in life I've got it nailed.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
Independence is good. But it can't hurt to turn to someone when you're uncertain along the way. Trust me, I've been observing everyone around me enough to know that uncertainty is really much more frequent than you make it out to be. Some people are just too stubborn to admit that they are.

Plus, you make it sound like it's a dog-eat-dog with your "only for the weak and uncertain" phrase you just mentioned.
I never said being weak or uncertain was bad. I was just excluding the group from people who should be able to live independently by choice.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:07:54 PM by Mizari- » »

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

I never said being weak or uncertain was bad.
Out of curiosity, may I ask for some examples of how being "weak or uncertain" is good, or rather, not bad? It just seems like a negative term to me.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24:59 PM »
weak
Disabled people, old people in a home are best to be taken care of. Even if their will is strong, their bodies or mind just might not coƶperate.

uncertain
Confused, unstable, hurt, 'not so bright' people.
And I suppose we all know at least someone who relies on their partner/parents/... for a lot of stuff and would be oblivious to stuff happening around him/her if not told.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
Ahh, just wanted to clarify that, you made it sound rather vague. Continue.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
I don't use this direct/confronting way of explaining to make something look bad. Just easier to read.

(I'm too lazy to explain the details)

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
Trust me, I've been observing everyone around me enough to know that uncertainty is really much more frequent than you make it out to be. Some people are just too stubborn to admit that they are.
Not at my age. I've done it all and bought the T shirt, made every mistake there was to make, and now I use my experience wisely and I'm very very rarely wrong or make a mistake. I'm uncertain as to how to use a new washing machine or something, but in life I've got it nailed.
Then I suppose it often just applies to teenagers like me.

Attack Member
  • S'up?
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2012, 10:06:52 AM »
Yeah teenagers just don't have experience, it's not their fault. You know when you look at a child and you can't believe they just don't get it? Well, that's kinda how teenagers appear to me sometimes. Of course when I was one I thought I knew it all, it's only later I realised I didn't.
I've never had any guidance from god though, I gained my experience and wisdom all by myself, good and bad, and now I'm proud of the person I am. I think that means more than someone who was just told how to behave/do things, I understand the reasons why properly.

By chance I just saw this: http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/50-things-prove-youre-grown-105023219.html
Apparently you don't feel an adult until about 26, I totally agree with that, but you don't realise it until you reach that age.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:19:37 PM by msg » »

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »
I am agnostic. I do agree the bible of a religion is a god model to set value in your life to but I would not ay my hands down in a full on deliberate worship of such gods.

There was once a time when i beleived and prayed but in my time of need nothing ever came to me. In fact there lacks to be any physical roof that a god exist. You can say all you want but everyrthing you argue can be proven by science.

The bible is  collection of stories. stories. stories of various people doing vriois things in their life. For all you know these tales could have been handed down from generation to generation to make kids behave until some guy decided that itd a good idea to write and market the storie and fables.

One can argue that the greek and roman gods were their respected religgious influences but it turns out they are both one and the same. The gods were ways ti explain how thongs happened that they otherwise couldnt explaine.

Have you looked at pictures and portraits of adam and eve? why would they have bely buttons?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal