Chat > Debates

Are games an art?

<< < (8/8)

BloodcatNS:

--- Quote from: NekoJonez on August 20, 2013, 11:03:23 AM ---Well actually the video for Nostalgia Critic sums up pretty much with what I think.

--- End quote ---
We can't argue with something that some of us might not bother to watch. :(

NekoJonez:
Well, I talked to FiST and he said that what Doug said was pretty much what FiST wrote here.

senpai_FisT:
Well, I am being subjective about it. While "the arts" is a broad spectrum that technically anything includes by the human creative impulse, "art" is defined by its focus in its visual aesthetics. Literature is not art, it's part of "the arts". Same goes for music, film, drama and videogames.

The only thing that "Games are art!" says about you is that you're a graphics whore. Videogames started off purely as a craft. A means to a product that you can interact with and entertain yourself. During the mid 80's, games started being influenced by the arts. So I guess it's safe to call the current videogame industry an industry of applied arts.

Applied arts =/= Fine arts

O:\msg:
Of course games are art. Not only do some look stunning but they tell a story, make you think and can affect your emotions too.

NekoJonez:
I think I wrote an article on ButtonSmashers about this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version