Chat > Debates

Are games an art?

<< < (2/8) > >>

NekoJonez:

--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 03, 2012, 04:20:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: NekoJonez on May 03, 2012, 10:21:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 02, 2012, 11:09:13 PM ---Ico and Shadows of the Colossus are two very underrated games. If I had to choose any game to win the debate of "Is gaming an art?" I would chose those two, they are very beautiful games. In looks and in story.
They are kind of well known, but not universally loved like they should be.

--- End quote ---
Yes gaming is an art. But it's more the graphics alone.

--- End quote ---
You're implying that graphics alone make gaming an art? or make an artistic game? I must greatly disagree. Its what the game symbolizes and what its message is that makes it art. Sure the way the game looks plays an important factor, but its an equal balance of grace and beauty that makes it shine. I mean by those standards, the latest Final Fantasy's would be art due to their beautiful graphics and style, but sadly its story is lackluster and thats why the news ones will never be "Art". Play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and you will understand.

--- End quote ---

Err... I think you read over the "more" I said. And as retro gamer... an game is an art form... but the "art" of a game... Well, actually... It's how you look at it. Graphical designers see the graphics, music guys see the music... So yeah...

Mr.PowPow:

--- Quote from: NekoJonez on May 03, 2012, 04:24:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 03, 2012, 04:20:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: NekoJonez on May 03, 2012, 10:21:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 02, 2012, 11:09:13 PM ---Ico and Shadows of the Colossus are two very underrated games. If I had to choose any game to win the debate of "Is gaming an art?" I would chose those two, they are very beautiful games. In looks and in story.
They are kind of well known, but not universally loved like they should be.

--- End quote ---
Yes gaming is an art. But it's more the graphics alone.

--- End quote ---
You're implying that graphics alone make gaming an art? or make an artistic game? I must greatly disagree. Its what the game symbolizes and what its message is that makes it art. Sure the way the game looks plays an important factor, but its an equal balance of grace and beauty that makes it shine. I mean by those standards, the latest Final Fantasy's would be art due to their beautiful graphics and style, but sadly its story is lackluster and thats why the news ones will never be "Art". Play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and you will understand.

--- End quote ---

Err... I think you read over the "more" I said. And as retro gamer... an game is an art form... but the "art" of a game... Well, actually... It's how you look at it. Graphical designers see the graphics, music guys see the music... So yeah...

--- End quote ---
Nope, I didn't read over it, as I said "equal balance" in my post ;p
but didn't you think that even with things like Tetris and Pac-Man, the graphics could have been even worse and you wouldn't have cared? As its the feeling the game produces, rather than the look it shows. True, music is a cornerstone in successful games, I will admit. But like I said, its an equal balance of all things, when you obtain a game that is dominant in one or the other, it usually turns out pretty bad. Thats why I disagree that graphics is more important.

NekoJonez:
Again, it's how you look at it. Yes, games are art to me... But it's more then the graphics... And I NEVER said that they need to be top notch... An anime style can do the trick too... Like take for example Okami. That is a beautiful game but is the best prettiest game of the market? I don't think so... It's getting close but HD and all... Yeah.

For me I look at the game as a whole... Does the game look nice, is the gameplay deep, is there a good story... Like elements that you look for in a movie or video... Everything needs to come together in one nice package. I once started to play a RPG ... I got bored because I found that the graphics were out of the theme.

Mr.PowPow:

--- Quote from: NekoJonez on May 03, 2012, 04:39:48 PM ---Again, it's how you look at it. Yes, games are art to me... But it's more then the graphics... And I NEVER said that they need to be top notch... An anime style can do the trick too... Like take for example Okami. That is a beautiful game but is the best prettiest game of the market? I don't think so... It's getting close but HD and all... Yeah.

For me I look at the game as a whole... Does the game look nice, is the gameplay deep, is there a good story... Like elements that you look for in a movie or video... Everything needs to come together in one nice package. I once started to play a RPG ... I got bored because I found that the graphics were out of the theme.

--- End quote ---
But are you not implying the same thing I was? That there needs to be an equal does of everything to make a game a piece of art? "everything needs to come together in one nice package".
Dominance of graphics= bad
Dominance of story=bad
Dominance of music= bad
But when you have an equal balance of all, then it mixes together and becomes an art form. The resulting game becoming something along the lines of Ico.

I think its strange to say that a game can be art if it has better graphics than it does story. Or better story and lackluster graphics. It needs to be balanced.

NekoJonez:

--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 03, 2012, 04:44:10 PM ---I think its strange to say that a game can be art if it has better graphics than it does story. Or better story and lackluster graphics. It needs to be balanced.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. But I don't see how you can compare a story to the graphics... But you can say that the graphics don't set the tone that the story is trying to set.

--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 03, 2012, 04:44:10 PM ---Dominance of story=bad
Dominance of music= bad

--- End quote ---

But here I disagree.

Dominance of the story = visual novel
Dominance of the music = Music & rhythm games?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version