Author Topic: Basic Rules and Tips for reviewing.  (Read 8569 times)

Offline Toffee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 4
  • Whatevs.
Basic Rules and Tips for reviewing.
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »
Please follow these rules when posting reviews of any kind.

• Reviews must be written by yourself. Reviews made by anyone else posted here will be seen as an act of plagiarism and will be deleted immediately.
  • Reviews can be as short or as long as the reviewer deems necessary, however it must contain substance. A one paragraph review saying how awesome Jill Valentine's boobs look will not be permitted.
  • Reviews must be free from bias. A reviewers job is to highlight ALL aspects of the subject under scrutiny. That means pointing out both the successes and the flaws of whatever it is he/she is reviewing.
  • Reviews must follow ARPEGI's rules of posting. That means no "txt" or "l33t" speak, no flaming, and no swearing.
These rules apply for ALL types of reviews including, but not limited to, games, anime, manga, music, and movies.

Rules for Video Game reviews:

• Reviews MUST have titles in this style: [SYSTEM] "Name of the game" - "Author's name" (ex. [X360] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Toffee)
  • If a game is available on more than one system, use the system you played it on but be sure to indicate what other systems that game is available for in your review
    The tags for the current-gen systems are: [NDS], [PSP], [3DS], [PSV], [PS3], [X360], [PC]
  • If a game is for tablets and smartphones, use the [IP] tag.
  • A rating system must be presented at the end of your review. The rating system will consist of a summary of Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, and Lasting Appeal, just like the IGN reviews. Each section will be reviewed out of 10. In addition to this, each review must have a total. The total will be the sum of the sections previously mentioned, and will be out of 50.

Rules for Anime and Manga reviews:

• Reviews MUST have titles in this style: [ANIME or MANGA] "Name of the Anime or Manga" - "Author's name" (ex. [ANIME] "Highschool DXD" - Toffee, [MANGA] "Naruto" - Toffee)
  • You must indicate the year in which it was created, the production company or group of people that made it, and indicate whether the series is complete or ongoing somewhere in your review.
  • A rating system must be presented at the end of your review. The rating system will consist of a summary of Art Style, Sound, Story, Character Development, and Lasting Appeal. (Sound omitted from Manga reviews for obvious reasons) Each section will be reviewed out of 10. In addition, each review must have a total. The total will be the total average score of the sections previously mentioned and will be out of 10.
Well, that's it for now! Have fun reading and sharing reviews with everyone!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:13:15 PM by Toffee » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Re: Basic Rules and Tips for reviewing.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 11:23:01 PM »

• and no swearing.

AVGN, NC style reviews are welcome here but please censor up your words in the reviews ~
Like "f*ck"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:27:03 AM by Jonez » »

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
I have a question about something.

What if a game GENUINELY doesn't have more than one flaw? I'm serious, a game I want to review has literally only one flaw, and that's the length of the game.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »

What if a game GENUINELY doesn't have more than one flaw? I'm serious, a game I want to review has literally only one flaw, and that's the length of the game.
You are correct here.
A game has always more then one flaw: glitches, slippery controls, to silent music ... etc etc.
I think Toffee means here that you need to mention one flaw in each category? To avoid people praising a game ... because reviewing should be not "I love this game so I don't see the flaws."

Offline CarolineJohnson

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 9
  • Herpenderps
      • Creepy + Pasta
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »

You are correct here.
A game has always more then one flaw: glitches, slippery controls, to silent music ... etc etc.
I think Toffee means here that you need to mention one flaw in each category? To avoid people praising a game ... because reviewing should be not "I love this game so I don't see the flaws."

No...It has no glitches, the controls aren't slippery, the music is silent in places to help with the atmosphere.... If it wasn't for the length, it would have no flaws whatsoever.

Gamespot's review doesn't even have a section titled 'the bad' like in reviews of other games.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:46:37 AM by ThisIsNotInu » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
No...It has no glitches, the controls aren't slippery, the music is silent in places to help with the atmosphere.... If it wasn't for the length, it would have no flaws whatsoever.

Personally, I disagree.
You should really check everything... frame rate, sound, graphics...
But it can also be that you don't see flaws personally... as long as back your argument up... I don't see any problems.

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »

Like I said, you are free to review as much as you like but be sure that it has no bias.
If the only flaw you truly see is its length, then you must point it out in a review.

Above all else, reviews are basically one person's opinion.

While you may think that a game is flawless, another person may find plenty more flaws.
And that's okay. Each person is entitled to their own opinion. As long as you follow the rules I have posted, I see no reason to bar you from fully expressing your opinions on a game.

Please feel free to submit the review here. I would really like to know more about the game which you are so highly passionate about.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »
I find this a MUST for each game review.

A small box with the most basic information of the game. Like, studio...genre, platforms (a full list, not the one you are reviewing), release date, brief summary...

For people who look up about the game, it's handy to have the basic info & a full review as bonus.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:05:47 PM by Jonez » »

Offline Noob

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
Grats on moderator Toffee!

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
Okay, I wrote over 100 games reviews on my (now deleted because of personal reasons) blog... So let's share some tips.

• Lay-out is extremely important. Don't give it one look... Put the screenshots in different places.
  • Always give the general information at the start of review. What platforms, when did it release, genre, ERSB rating etc etc.
  • In multi-platforms.. Try to avoid comparing too much others platforms. The is even a difference sometimes between PS3 & XBOX360.
  • Try to look to each game separate before comparing it to games earlier in the series.
  • Try to avoid comparing games to it's sequel. Sequels are mostly improvements so what is the point...?
  • Do research and REPLAY the game just before reviewing.
  • Don't directly post your review. Save it somewhere... give the game some thought and read over it.. This way you spell check AND adjust your opinion when you were too hyped of to game and such.
  • It's your opinion! If you don't agree with the mass... then... you don't agree... But support your arguments.
  • Always have an intro. Always. And put this intro in a different style then the rest, like eg in bold.
  • Read other reviews too... Both positive and negative. It's always possible you missed something.
  • Remember that you write in your own style. Not in somebody's tutorial style.

That are the best tips I can think up now. :3

Offline Toffee

Attack Member
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
Update - Feb. 07, 2013:

Added rule about games for tablets and iPhones. Please use the [IP] tag in the title when reviewing these games.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal