Author Topic: Debate / Talk: Is PC truly the masterrace?  (Read 6419 times)

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
Debate / Talk: Is PC truly the masterrace?
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
So, I know this topic is one who welcome's trolls. But hey, let's try to talk in an adult way about this.

I actually disagree and agree with this. There are various things that make the claim solid that the PC is the masterrace.

One, it's easier to patch a bug out of a game. Two, it's easier to upgrade the graphics and such. And three, you have the biggest library of all gaming platforms.

But then computers, as a gaming platform... Aren't flawless. Because...

Strong gaming pc's aren't portable. If you feel like playing your games on the bus or something like that... That's a no-go.

Also, if you want to keep up-to-date with the latest games... You have to spend a lot of money to upgrade your device. For consoles, you don't really have to do all that much.

Consoles can provide alternatives of play. I haven't seen a PC game where motion control is required. What I'm saying here is that, WITH THE BASIC keyboard & mouse input, you are extremely limited. As for a controller... You have a range of options.

And my final argument is, the lack and impossibility of quality control. When you have a console or a handheld, you can have quality control. To make sure that the games that are released are actually working. But on the PC, you have people who think they can release games and flood the scene with an overload.
From casual to hardcore games. And sometimes extremely shitty games. And the various "Best hits" or "Classics" series... You can't fully believe which ones are actually good and which ones lack a lot of stuff. So, yeah.
It's also impossible to do. There are too many things at play, it's like the mobile phone market. You can't follow the amount of releases. 

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Re: Debate / Talk: Is PC truly the masterrace?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
Strong gaming pc's aren't portable. If you feel like playing your games on the bus or something like that... That's a no-go.
I'd like to see someone bring a PS/Xbox+TV on the bus and play. No points gained against the consoles.

Also, if you want to keep up-to-date with the latest games... You have to spend a lot of money to upgrade your device. For consoles, you don't really have to do all that much.
Except for buying new consoles every few years. Which obviously costs a lot too.

Consoles can provide alternatives of play. I haven't seen a PC game where motion control is required. What I'm saying here is that, WITH THE BASIC keyboard & mouse input, you are extremely limited. As for a controller... You have a range of options.
There's stuff like steering wheels and joysticks too.
You can use console controllers on PC if you fancy that.

And my final argument is, the lack and impossibility of quality control. When you have a console or a handheld, you can have quality control. To make sure that the games that are released are actually working. But on the PC, you have people who think they can release games and flood the scene with an overload.
From casual to hardcore games. And sometimes extremely shitty games. And the various "Best hits" or "Classics" series... You can't fully believe which ones are actually good and which ones lack a lot of stuff. So, yeah.
It's also impossible to do. There are too many things at play, it's like the mobile phone market. You can't follow the amount of releases. 
You don't HAVE to play everything, it's called freedom of choice. The things you like or might like will still stand out. Buying before knowing what it's actually about is a pretty stupid move if you ask me.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
^w^ Indeed Miz.

And true, the portability of consoles is also not that great. For that handhelds win a ton of points.

Is there a masterrace in gaming? No. I don't think so. But I do think that the PC is one of the best platforms because it's easier to use and most of all, it's easier to adapt.

And Miz-, buying before you know what it's about... That is why you can play test in most game stores now-a-days. Plus, there are demo's! This is one of the reasons I'm not so fond of digital sales. Because giving refunds is just a pain in the but.

About the costs. In my eyes, the speed that you need to buy new graphic cards and such for your pc... Well, the cost for that is (way) higher then a console no?

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
Here's my honest to goodness opinion:

Pc is not the master race.The most versatile perhaps.But definitely not the master
I mean every major consoles have their pros and cons:
playstation has shinyness,nintendo has innovation,xbox has umm...shooters?Pc has insane high endness,steam and lots of innovative indie game
while on the other hand playstation is pricy,nintendo often lost touch of whats good,xbox is....xbox and in case of pc although pc can be godly.One pc differs from another a lot.In fact unless you have a bed made of money I don't think you can make the pc look and play the best

and also I think there's something called a sega or something.What's a sega?is it chocolate?

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
x) Sega has been out of the console market for years now. Their last device was the Dreamcast.

I think you are confusing with that Android device.

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
x) Sega has been out of the console market for years now. Their last device was the Dreamcast.

I think you are confusing with that Android device.
naww man I wasn't only considering the new consoles.I meant consoles in general

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
xP

Well yeah, random fact of the day... The mouse is actually developed by Apple D:

Yes, one thing they are actually good for.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
About the costs. In my eyes, the speed that you need to buy new graphic cards and such for your pc... Well, the cost for that is (way) higher then a console no?
I think I've spent around €3000 on my rig in the last decade.

Offline Swagmaster

• Roleplayin' Clan
  • Attack: 111
    Defense: 111
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • Cuz Why Not?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
I firmly believe that the PC is the masterrace of gaming, but I don't like playing games on PC

PCs have too much to do to only focus on gaming. Example being I have a lot of school work online, I watch a lot of videos, read sports articles etc. and if I have a source of accessing those in front of me, I will get distracted away from the game and towards those activities. On consoles all I have is one option: play. Ofc there are other things, but I don't use my consoles for anything else

Offline TyranBrûlée

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
  • Attack: 0
    Defense: 1
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 22
  • お尻とおっぱいお尻とおっぱい
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 07:36:11 AM »
I think I've spent around €3000 on my rig in the last decade.
Oh but plus plus plusss..
You don't need to buy anything extra for your PC if you start out with a decent one in the first place. Buying those things just ups the quality of your experience but it isn't a necessity.
ofc this doesn't apply to repairs, but even consoles and stuff need maintenance every now and then.
If you want to keep up with the times, I'd much rather just buy updated parts rather than an entirely new console. There will be a time where you have to buy a new PC altogether, but if you can pace yourself correctly and are smart about your spending(hah. Hahah. Ahah..) you'll spend much less on your PC than you do with other consoles and you get more freedom of experience quality customization.
In addition to all of that... There's less clutter because PC has outlived all other consoles in terms of new games.
You can have every console from 1st to current gen at your disposal or... or..! You could have PC~

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
True, but I have played more titles I enjoyed that weren't on PC.

I think it's safe to say that it comes to personal preference. PC might be one of the best platforms to game on BUT it isn't the best or a masterrace.

Offline Light

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 20
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »
I think it's safe to say that it comes to personal preference.

That might be true when it comes to the games, but you have to admit that when it comes to longevity, versatility, and general overall cost, PCs definitively come out on top of consoles and handhelds.

Not to mention the fact that most console and handheld games (barring current gen and a few last gen consoles/handhelds) can be played on PC, some way or another.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:43:13 AM by Light » »

Offline TyranBrûlée

Attack Member
  • お尻とおっぱいお尻とおっぱい
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
True, but I have played more titles I enjoyed that weren't on PC.

I think it's safe to say that it comes to personal preference. PC might be one of the best platforms to game on BUT it isn't the best or a masterrace.
Your preferred platform shouldn't have all the say in what is considered to be "masterrace" because sure, you may have played more titles that you enjoyed that weren't on the PC but that's a matter of what games you like. That's personal preference.
But your argument isn't in the games themselves but the actual platform you play it on. The games available are but one argument in the entire idea of a "master race platform." You have to take into consideration the flexibility, the quality, the playability, etc. Some of which we've already touched based on and more or less agree that the PC is more superior in.

If that isn't enough, let me give you my personal example.
I only started really getting into PC gaming around the beginning of September of last year. Before then, I was a sucker for handhelds. But, before I got a decent PC myself, I was well aware that the capabilities the PC possesses far exceeded that of my preferred gaming platforms: Handhelds. Now that I can play more PC games, will I choose the PC as my preference over the handhelds? Probably not(Much to Mizzlyboo's disdain)! I've enjoyed more titles on handhelds than I have on the PC, but that's my personal preference.

PC masterrace because it's master race, not because someone likes its games more.

Also idk why it's personal preference when you have more of a selection of games for the PC anyway. You just don't PC game as much so you automatically go with your emotional standpoint and say PC isn't master race because you're not used to the games they have. As stated previously:
You don't HAVE to play everything, it's called freedom of choice. The things you like or might like will still stand out. Buying before knowing what it's actually about is a pretty stupid move if you ask me.
The first part is argued pretty well, so I'll leave it as is. Further clarifying it, though...
You said:
"And sometimes extremely shitty games." Can you say that consoles/handhelds don't sometimes have extremely shitty games? Yo that's pushing it a bit..

"And the various "Best hits" or "Classics" series... You can't fully believe which ones are actually good and which ones lack a lot of stuff." This is your opinion. Especially the "Best hits" part. It ties into what I was saying about preference =/= superiority. If you believe everything you hear about anything(not just in games), you're going to be a pretty damn gullible person. You don't have to believe anything. "Best hits" doesn't mean "You're going to love this game, Jonez."

Soooooooooooo yeeeeeeeeeeeaaah.
PC master race, homie.
Formatted for ease of reading. Huehue.
EDIT: lmao Light used better words than I did but he basically said the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:52:15 AM by TyranBrûlée » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »
Hey, about shitty games... Yeah, let's not start about shovelware x) I'm fully aware of it. Can't deny that.

And if I may, let me be Miles Edgeworth in this case and attack the statement that 'PC gaming isn't the masterrace'. To make this more interesting.

Now, let me state one thing clear, I have no answer on the question which platform is the masterrace. Since honestly, there isn't any.

Not to mention the fact that most console and handheld games (barring current gen and a few last gen consoles/handhelds) can be played on PC, some way or another.

Well, good argument Light... We say in Dutch: "That balloon isn't going up." ... Meaning, Agreed, but there is a flaw there. For one, it's illegal. But that isn't the point of this talk. You can emulate consoles, some even without a need of a hack, on some handhelds or consoles. Take the Virtual Console on 3DS and Wii. Or with easy hacks, the ease you can play GBA or even N64 games on a PSP.

That might be true when it comes to the games, but you have to admit that when it comes to longevity, versatility, and general overall cost, PCs definitively come out on top of consoles and handhelds.

*Nods.* But that doesn't equal bad. It mostly means that you get the experience out of what you payed for. It's like Hetty said earlier. You don't HAVE to upgrade your PC. It only adds to the experience.

Your preferred platform shouldn't have all the say in what is considered to be "masterrace" because sure, you may have played more titles that you enjoyed that weren't on the PC but that's a matter of what games you like. That's personal preference.
But your argument isn't in the games themselves but the actual platform you play it on. The games available are but one argument in the entire idea of a "master race platform." You have to take into consideration the flexibility, the quality, the playability, etc. Some of which we've already touched based on and more or less agree that the PC is more superior in.

Oh, but I do have an objection. Yes, the PC is superior, most of the times. It's like I said in a different debate defending Nintendo. What are you with a powerful system without games?

Another thing, I think we need to think about the different types of gamers. Isn't a master race platform supposed to appeal to all of the categories? You could make the argument of emulators. But then I easy poke a hole in that argument. What about retro game collectors like myself and eg Rora? We like our games to be played on the actual system.

And let's not start talking about driver updates and all that jazz. Agreed, some consoles need firmwire updates in order for them to support the latest things. But in order to play games on my Steam library I have to install Java, Flash, Phyton, C++ ....

Oh, and Hetty. I do play on my laptop. As I prove with articles on my blog. Somewhere I said that I agree that the PC is one of the best platforms to game on. But it isn't the master race. That doesn't exist in gaming. Since when you have a machine that can last long or play a lot of games... It all comes down to the software you use it with. And that's personal preference.

Offline senpai_FisT

• Übermensch
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 15
  • can'twakeup.png
      • Rock'n'RollFisto!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »

Pfft, there's too much peaceful discussion in this thread. Whatever happened to yelling at each other and calling them faggots?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:36:05 PM by FiST » »

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »

Pfft, there's too much peaceful discussion in this thread. Whatever happened to yelling at each other and calling them faggots?
wait so you don't know that if you yell and cuss randomly jonezy demon cat will slowly and painfully devour your soul?

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
Oh, but I do have an objection. Yes, the PC is superior, most of the times. It's like I said in a different debate defending Nintendo. What are you with a powerful system without games?
You said in your first post that PC had too many games. Make up your mind.

Another thing, I think we need to think about the different types of gamers. Isn't a master race platform supposed to appeal to all of the categories? You could make the argument of emulators. But then I easy poke a hole in that argument. What about retro game collectors like myself and eg Rora? We like our games to be played on the actual system.
Preferences and opinions aren't arguments, Jonez.

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 04:31:35 PM »
You said in your first post that PC had too many games. Make up your mind.

Preferences and opinions aren't arguments, Jonez.

1 quote - You missed my point :P What are you with a powerful system when there are (barely) any games that make full use of it? More clear x3?

2nd quote - Objection! In this case, I don't think so. In fact, if the PC is a masterrace... Then it should appeal to all preferences ... right? Well, I invite you to play (retro) games on your PC WITH the correct controllers. Believe me, the NES and SNES aren't such a pain... But go to the N64 or higher and you run into emulator glitches and high system demands. You are better off hacking the actual console.

My argument here is the PC can't appeal to every type of gamer. Which makes it no master race ^w^ . Think about it this way. Let's say that each type of gamer is worth one point. So, when it can't receive full marks....  ;)

Here is one of the best quotes I found on the interwebz

It's cheaper to PC game, but more fun and hassle-free to console game.

PC is like a car, you need one.

Console is like a bike, you don't need it, you just have it because it's fun to ride.

"Hermit" are PC-chodes that tell people on bikes "use a car, it's better" and clearly have no concept of riding for fun vs riding to get from point A to point B.

Because, trolls. Also, I think Miz, our elite PC gamer, can agree that consoles and handhelds have a lot to offer.

wait so you don't know that if you yell and cuss randomly jonezy demon cat will slowly and painfully devour your soul?

>:D

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 05:31:50 PM »
Long story short: PC is the masterrace but Jonez doesn't want to acknowledge it as his master. Thus he runs to the distant lands of Nintendo-exclusive Nintendo games.

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • UwU
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:22 PM »
Long story short: PC is the masterrace but Jonez doesn't want to acknowledge it as his master. Thus he runs to the distant lands of Nintendo-exclusive Nintendo games.
aww but I actually agree with jonezy on the point of nintendo being awesome and the pc being chocolate

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
    Attack Member
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »
Oh you dirty troll.
For your information, I have been playing on my PS2 and PSP lately. :P

Offline TyranBrûlée

Attack Member
  • お尻とおっぱいお尻とおっぱい
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 12:14:46 AM »
Oh you dirty troll.
He tries to joke about it in hopes that you'd understand it more, because obviously you can't handle solid facts.
YOU KNOW NOTHING, JONEZ SNOW.

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 03:19:26 AM »
I think that anyone who calls themself the master race is one ignorant fucker. That also goes for any council or platform used to game because everyone games different

Offline NekoBot

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 154
    Defense: 96
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: -66
  • A shadow of the past
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 03:22:08 AM »
Oh you dirty troll.
He tries to joke about it in hopes that you'd understand it more, because obviously you can't handle solid facts.
YOU KNOW NOTHING, JONEZ SNOW.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal