Chat > Television

The Walking Dead

<< < (7/7)

Swagmaster:
(click to show/hide) Also, back to the whole humanizing the Governor. I realized that even though he loved Lilly and Megan, that it was never going to last because of one major thing: the very base of their relationship, their meeting each other, was an entire lie. They still thought his name was Brian. Also, the way he selfishly started to treat Megan like his own daughter reminded me of Joel in Last of Us. Except Joel kept his shit together and did not ultimately lead himself and his "daughter" to their deaths.

BloodcatNS:
(click to show/hide)The base of the relationship was never a lie. Or at least, I don't think that lying ever caused their deaths. The Governor wanted to forget everything about what he did and who he was. He wanted to entirely leave his past behind and start a new beginning. He hated himself, apparent by folding his image in the photo of his family. He wanted to forget and leave, evident by his initial insistence of leaving the group. The problem wasn't lying, but keeping Dr. Jekyll from transforming into Mr. Hyde all over again.

The first gear that start moving towards their eventual deaths is the reappearance of Martinez. He was a liability. He knows Brian's real past, but that per se wasn't the cause of him getting killed. What drove the Governor to kill him is when Martinez started offering to SHARE the leadership. When the Governor leads, it's a full-on dictatorship. No question. No democracy, no council, just him.

Note, when the Governor was in the process of killing Martinez, he was shouting "I DON'T WANT IT!". It wasn't sarcasm. Hell, it wasn't anything. He really doesn't want to be a leader. He wants to turn back. But his nature as a dictator, his hunger for power before anything else keeps him from changing. He was being forced into assuming the role of leader because of his nature and that killed him in the process.

EDIT: Oh shit, was this about the relationship lasting? Crap, I'm sorry. :\

Anyway, I do believe that they might have lasted, if not for the Governor's hunger for power. Like I said, the lie wasn't the problem.

By that point, he was a changed man. He doesn't obsess with her dead daughter anymore. The first thing he did when he saw Meghan dead was shoot her first. Heartless, I know. But he realizes the futility of keeping her as a walker.

Swagmaster:
So, what did you guys think about "The Grove?"

(click to show/hide) DAMN, the writers here sure have GUTS.
That was horrifying. Lizzie was flat-out creepy and for her to kill Mika like that was soul-crushing. I feel awful for Carol about what she had to do, but i feel she is the most emotionally stable of all the prison group because she ultimately does what she has to do, and she does not hesitate when doing it. The forgiving part was powerful, and I feel Tyrese has learned about what Carol was feeling and felt sorry, but understood at the same time what had to be done. I think Carol's time is up. She looks like she is going to die by season's end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version