Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 7829 times)

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
  • Attack: 95
    Defense: 97
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 1
  • It's a jungle out there! Do do do do do do do~
Time Travel
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
I've seen this debate on many forums, its mainly about whether its possible now or ever will be. So do you think its possible? And any Back To The Future quotes will be frowned upon~
Since time travel can be explained in various different ways try to elaborate which methods you disprove or approve of~

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Defense: 94
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 23
  • eh
      • Arpegi
Re: Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
There's never been anyone from the future to now or the past, so there never will be.
Travelling back in time is impossible, unless you think of different dimensions, but that wouldn't count as the same "time".
Travelling forward in time is already kinda possible with freezing and coma-stuff. And it will probably be easier and more reliable in a couple decades or more.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
There's never been anyone from the future to now or the past, so there never will be
But how would we know, considering that they know they must not interfere with the causation of history, they wouldn't necessarily be making themselves known to the world now would they?
So if at some point time travel does become available I highly doubt that they would travel back and say "Hey dudes, in the future you can totally time travel" which would alter time and somehow cause a dangerous paradox. Then again for all we know time could have already been altered? But we wouldn't notice it because time (causation of time) is just progressing normally for us.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:18:57 PM by Nega-Pow » »

Offline NekoJonez

• Administrator
  • Attack: 104
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • Look, I'm on a Gameboy.
      • My gaming life.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »
If it would be possible.. I would return to the moment where they invited timezones...

But in all seriousness, I think it would cause too big of a mess.

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
I highly doubt that they would travel back and say "Hey dudes, in the future you can totally time travel"
People ain't robots, they're nowhere near perfect and would do anything for an awesome life. For example introducing stuff that hasn't been invented yet.

Offline iluvfupaburgers

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 91
    Defense: 93
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 0
  • FUPA Luva
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
acording to Einstein's famous E=mc^2 equation. it says basically that it is impossible to travel at the speed of light or faster than the speed of light since you would need a mass thats equal or less to zero for that. time does seem to dilate when traveling closer to speed of light therefore time travel would be possible only if surpassing speed of light, which is impossible due to the mentioned above, mass problem.

it would be nice though to believe in time travel

Offline Kiss x Miz

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • eh
      • Arpegi
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
Lolz
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:04:00 PM by Mizari- » »

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
acording to Einstein's famous E=mc^2 equation. it says basically that it is impossible to travel at the speed of light or faster than the speed of light since you would need a mass thats equal or less to zero for that. time does seem to dilate when traveling closer to speed of light therefore time travel would be possible only if surpassing speed of light, which is impossible due to the mentioned above, mass problem.
Except scientists recently made something go faster than the speed of light meaning Einsteins theory was wrong.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

Offline iluvfupaburgers

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • FUPA Luva
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 03:21:14 AM »
Except scientists recently made something go faster than the speed of light meaning Einsteins theory was wrong.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

the article does say there could be wrong data and still need further proof. and it was done with a neutrino which is a subatomic particle of basically 0 mass which means it travels at speeds similar to speed of light

Offline Noob

• Arpegiator
  • Attack: 100
    Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:51:20 AM »
Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?

Frown upon me. ::)

Offline O:\msg

• Attack: 78
    Defense: 60
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 10
  • S'up?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »
the article does say there could be wrong data and still need further proof. and it was done with a neutrino which is a subatomic particle of basically 0 mass which means it travels at speeds similar to speed of light
I dunno I just remember seeing it on the news. It does say they have done the experiment 20 times and got the same result every time, we'll just have to wait and see if the Japanese do it too.

Offline shredc0re

• Mythical Member
  • Attack: 62
    Defense: 61
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 6
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
About what Mizari said, you don't even know that.
Who knows, there might have been time travellers already.. Just kept secret by the governements.. Wouldn't be the first time they keep secrets from us now would it?

Offline PriomBlazer

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 21
  • UwU
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »
Time is a complecated thing.....But nothing is impossible so yea I have hopes

Offline dark 5FVD

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 3
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »
i wanna go to the future to see if i i do have an awesome job. IF NOT have a awesome job.

Offline Light

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 20
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
i wanna go to the future to see if i i do have an awesome job. IF NOT have a awesome job.

Everyone will freak out when they see you exactly the same age as you were when you disappeared for however far you decide to travel into the future.

Offline dark 5FVD

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »
I would take the risk

Offline Light

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »
Well, you wouldn't have a job in the future because you disappeared for as long as you decided to travel into the future, which means you weren't there to actually find an awesome job in the first place.

Offline dark 5FVD

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
no i just would like to find out if i would still live a job won't be a prob i hope

Offline Light

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
Well of course you'd be alive. Think of it this way, when you arrive in the future, your future self would be exactly the same as your current self because your future self is your current self. The only way you can meet another you is if you travel to the past or to another dimension.

Offline BloodcatNS

• Supersonic Hyper Omega Gigadeath
    Attack Member
  • That lovable ass with well pronounced buttocks
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
Well of course you'd be alive. Think of it this way, when you arrive in the future, your future self would be exactly the same as your current self because your future self is your current self. The only way you can meet another you is if you travel to the past or to another dimension.
Which would be impossible since ( I have no source, but this is what I think) you can only travel forward. Not back.

Offline Mr.PowPow

• Kerplunky-plunk
    Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
Wait, wouldnt that only make sense if you didnt return?
If you go into the future to see yourself and then somehow return to your own time, then you would have returned to fufill your role as your later future self.
Or am I misunderstanding the arguement?

Offline dark 5FVD

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »
light i'm not quite sure about that. cause i have had alot of prob's and they are a heavy load so...

Offline Toffee

• Doesn't know about the matrix.
    Attack Member
  • High Five Received: 4
  • Whatevs.
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 05:39:59 AM »
I think the closest we would come to having some sort of "Time Travel" would be to temporarily put a person in a stasis or suspended animation and reawakening him/her 100 or so years in the future.
Granted, this isn't TRUE time travel seeing as how it's only one way, but it is an option.

Offline iluvfupaburgers

• Arpegiator
    Attack Member
  • FUPA Luva
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
i just remembered something about wormholes. which could be a possibility of time traveling. but of course, this is just theoretical physics

here is a little explanation about wormhole time travel found on wiki
The theory of general relativity predicts that if traversable wormholes exist, they could allow time travel.[2] This would be accomplished by accelerating one end of the wormhole to a high velocity relative to the other, and then sometime later bringing it back; relativistic time dilation would result in the accelerated wormhole mouth aging less than the stationary one as seen by an external observer, similar to what is seen in the twin paradox. However, time connects differently through the wormhole than outside it, so that synchronized clocks at each mouth will remain synchronized to someone traveling through the wormhole itself, no matter how the mouths move around.[20] This means that anything which entered the accelerated wormhole mouth would exit the stationary one at a point in time prior to its entry.
For example, consider two clocks at both mouths both showing the date as 2000. After being taken on a trip at relativistic velocities, the accelerated mouth is brought back to the same region as the stationary mouth with the accelerated mouth's clock reading 2005 while the stationary mouth's clock read 2010. A traveler who entered the accelerated mouth at this moment would exit the stationary mouth when its clock also read 2005, in the same region but now five years in the past. Such a configuration of wormholes would allow for a particle's world line to form a closed loop in spacetime, known as a closed timelike curve.
It is thought that it may not be possible to convert a wormhole into a time machine in this manner; the predictions are made in the context of general relativity, but general relativity does not include quantum effects. Some analyses[who?] using the semiclassical approach to incorporating quantum effects into general relativity indicate that a feedback loop of virtual particles would circulate through the wormhole with ever-increasing intensity, destroying it before any information could be passed through it, in keeping with the chronology protection conjecture. This has been called into question by the suggestion that radiation would disperse after traveling through the wormhole, therefore preventing infinite accumulation. The debate on this matter is described by Kip S. Thorne in the book Black Holes and Time Warps, and a more technical discussion can be found in The quantum physics of chronology protection by Matt Visser.[21] There is also the Roman ring, which is a configuration of more than one wormhole. This ring seems to allow a closed time loop with stable wormholes when analyzed using semiclassical gravity, although without a full theory of quantum gravity it is uncertain whether the semiclassical approach is reliable in this case.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:08:48 AM by iluvfupaburgers » »

Offline Light

• Global Moderator
    Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »
Wait, wouldnt that only make sense if you didnt return?
If you go into the future to see yourself and then somehow return to your own time, then you would have returned to fufill your role as your later future self.
Or am I misunderstanding the arguement?

That's true, but then the future you saw would most likely not happen (or at least not be exactly the same), since it only happened because you disappeared. Also, I agree with Blood; going backwards in time would be impossible anyway.

I think the closest we would come to having some sort of "Time Travel" would be to temporarily put a person in a stasis or suspended animation and reawakening him/her 100 or so years in the future.
Granted, this isn't TRUE time travel seeing as how it's only one way, but it is an option.

Iirc, going around the edge of a black hole is another way of going several years into the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal