Creative > Roleplay

Professor Toffee's Illustrated Guide to Magic / Q&A Thread / Chat Thread

<< < (3/7) > >>

Toffee:

--- Quote from: BloodcatNS on December 15, 2012, 03:10:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Toffee on December 15, 2012, 12:45:31 AM ---As for Time Magic, since magic is the application of formulae to change the eidos of a physical phenomena, anything that breaks the laws of physics, i.e. Time Travel, etc. is impossible. There is a TRANCE type magic that can slow down the electrical activity in the brain, which would give opponents the sensation of time slowing down, but that's as close to "Time" magic as one can achieve with our current understanding of physics and magic.

--- End quote ---
How about a RISE type magic that affects the perception of time and accelerates the bloodflow and metabolism of a person for him/her to "normally" move in the altered time flow? This of course, would have drawbacks, like a shortening lifespan. The slower the time, the bigger the consequence especially with prolonged use.

Anyway, can mana be condensed and take a tangible form? For example, a formula like this:

Gather mana -> Increase Density

If not, then how about:

Gather air molecules -> Increase Density

I know that the second one works, but how about the first? If pure mana takes a solid form, then what are its properties? Is it acidic or safe to touch?

--- End quote ---

That is certainly a possibility. By using RISE to accelerate the body's production of adrenaline and further increasing blood flow, the RISE user could experience the sensation of the world around him "slowing down." Of course, if overused, this would undoubtedly cause problems for his heart and brain.

Think of Mana as a type of electron, if that makes it easier to understand. Like an electron, it is virtually weightless so even if you do gather it into a compressed state, it will have no physical property of "pushing" anything, however, it will deliver an electrical like shock if fired to an opponent who is not expecting it. If enough mana is fired, it would temporarily overwhelm an untrained opponent, since his or her Magic Circuits won't be able to handle the sudden increased burst of mana. However, this could also backfire if the opponent is properly trained; he could draw in the mana you fired and use it to counterattack by using that mana to power his own spells. Mana manipulation is also used in some Curative Magic for young magicians who have accidentally overused their Magic Circuits. By channeling small amounts of mana through the patient's magic circuits, the examiner can determine the extent of and location of the damage.

--- Quote from: Pow on December 15, 2012, 03:42:45 AM ---
--- Quote from: BloodcatNS on December 15, 2012, 03:10:26 AM ---I know that the second one works, but how about the first? If pure mana takes a solid form, then what are its properties? Is it acidic or safe to touch?

--- End quote ---
Can't help but think about Mako for some reason lol

I'd also like to ask what exactly is the limit of magic? what abilities are a no-no?
I'm sure the possibilities for powers are vast but surely there must be a point where you say "Okay, no you can't do that"

also, slightly off-topic but when can we see this roleplay in action? :p

--- End quote ---

Basically, anything that defies the laws of physics would not be allowed, or more aptly put, not possible.
Teleportation, Time Travel, Time Manipulation, Gravity Manipulation and any spells of the sort would be impossible.

Though Flight is possible by different methods, such as manipulating the air around you to a denser state, allowing you to "swim" in air; or having a CAD that is constructed to support your weight and able to achieve lift.

"Necromancy" is also not possible. Resurrecting the dead and using them for battle is not possible. Though in a battle, you could use the corpses on the field as a "meat shield" if you must. Of course, it would be abhorred if seen by others, but in a life and death struggle, you wouldn't really care what others will think of you if you die right?

I still haven't worked out an overarching theme for the world though. I was wondering if you could help me with that. Once we can hammer down the details of the world, the governments and the people and such, then we can start this RP.

Mr.PowPow:
Well I don't know exactly how I can help, are you still going for the merger between my idea and yours? or do we need to discuss something different?

Caster no Mae:
I was thinking as well as those 2 you said Toffee, but also Manipulating Blood in a similar way as to one would to water, for example use blood packs as a "transportable Weapon" kind of way as an example

Toffee:

--- Quote from: Pow on December 15, 2012, 10:02:12 PM ---Well I don't know exactly how I can help, are you still going for the merger between my idea and yours? or do we need to discuss something different?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I was hoping for a merger of sorts, since DogmaTech has control over a country, I was thinking that there should be an opposing country where Magic is used freely. So, when the RP starts, people have the choice either to go with Magic or with Technology.

--- Quote from: Caster no Mae on December 16, 2012, 06:06:24 PM ---I was thinking as well as those 2 you said Toffee, but also Manipulating Blood in a similar way as to one would to water, for example use blood packs as a "transportable Weapon" kind of way as an example

--- End quote ---

If the blood was in a container outside a human body, then it could theoretically be manipulated like water. Hmm, now that I think about it, there are no restrictions on using the blood inside the bodies of animals. Since animals possess no magic circuits, their bodies don't have the resistance to mana manipulation like humans do. So if you wanted to be a "blood bender", the most effective way for you to fight would be to use the blood of animals. Though this might cause some problems with PETA...

Caster no Mae:

Understood Doc.~~

however, can I still Use Drained Human Blood, say when its out from for example but not inside the human? for example the reason being Magic Circuit would protect the Human from it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version