Chat > Debates

Silent Protagonists Vs. Voiced Protagonist

<< < (2/3) > >>

PriomBlazer:

--- Quote from: Apokura on December 02, 2015, 06:46:25 PM ---Looking at the video, my point remains. Should Link have a voice in that game, and instead of just grunting saying something like "eeey let me out of here" would it be less immersive? Would you feel less like you were in the game or in the place of the character? Because honestly, I don't think I can say I would...

--- End quote ---
Then Link'd sound annoying and the entire scene would lose it's humourous tone.

--- Quote from: Apokura on December 02, 2015, 06:46:25 PM ---Looking at the video, my point remains. Should Link have a voice in that game, and instead of just grunting saying something like "eeey let me out of here" would it be less immersive? Would you feel less like you were in the game or in the place of the character? Because honestly, I don't think I can say I would...

And in regard to that comparison, I find it...not very good, tbh. OK, so in ME most of the options were Paragon/Renegade and very straightfoward, but...
(click to show/hide) For example, in the first Mass Effect we have the option to save Kaidan or Ashley from death. In that instance, there is no Paragon/Renegade, despite being very straightforward, and I think the voice acting enhances the immersion. Shepard's last words to whoever you chose to let die were, IMO, a sign of humanity that just text can't convey.

--- End quote ---
Umm...doesn't that happen in ME2? Also you don't exactly get to choose what your last words are and Shepherds mental condition remains the same no matter who you left to die or what sort of relation you formed with the character.

--- Quote from: Apokura on December 02, 2015, 06:46:25 PM ---

And that aside, should you compare DA to DA, you can see that in Dragon Age: Inquisition (which has voice acting) the choices remain the same. You don't really know what consequences your choices will have and the same kind of interaction with your allies and whatnot, but the voice acting makes it all feel more "real"; and besides, to me it's kind of a turn-off when the characters don't have voices.

--- End quote ---
*cough*hasn'tplayedinquisition*cough*

Swagmaster:
I see it in two ways: is it YOUR character, or is it the game's character?

If the character is yours, you created him, you control him, you build him, affect his outcome (or her, of course) then I feel the game should make it a silent character (a la Skyrim, Fallout, etc.) because then the character's thoughts are yours.

If it's a character in a story-driven game like The Last of Us or Assassin's Creed, I feel they should be voiced/not silenced since in games like those you are a only controlling the character, the character isn't actually yours

I feel like Pokemon and TLoZ kept their characters silent as the series progressed only to stick to tradition, while franchises like Final Fantasy opted to voice their characters as they became more story-driven

Kiss x Miz:
Yesterday Telltale's Game of Thrones kicked me in the face a couple times when I made decisions. I love it.

You can't really imagine it being a game if you didn't have decision-based characters. Even if the action was more free.

NekoJonez:
Depends on what the goal of the game is. When you want the player to immerse in the world... A silent works best. If you want to tell a big/grand story... WHY A SILENT?!

Kiss x Miz:
I'd be interested in a voiced decision-based pokemon game

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version