Chat > Debates

Are games an art?

<< < (3/8) > >>

NekoBot:
tO BE FAIR, i THINK ANYTHING CAN BE CALLED ART. i MEAN, THERE HAVE BEEN PEOPLE WHO PUT i BEAMS (sorry caps lock) together and called that art.
Or, at a musium I went to was selling a white canvas (painted white) for $5000 because of its excellent art.... the actual meaning of 'art' could be losing meaning

Mr.PowPow:

--- Quote from: NekoJonez on May 03, 2012, 04:48:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 03, 2012, 04:44:10 PM ---I think its strange to say that a game can be art if it has better graphics than it does story. Or better story and lackluster graphics. It needs to be balanced.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. But I don't see how you can compare a story to the graphics... But you can say that the graphics don't set the tone that the story is trying to set.

--- Quote from: Mr.PowPow on May 03, 2012, 04:44:10 PM ---Dominance of story=bad
Dominance of music= bad

--- End quote ---

But here I disagree.

Dominance of the story = visual novel
Dominance of the music = Music & rhythm games?

--- End quote ---
Well on the first point, I think you understood what I was getting at anyway. So I won't delve further into that one.
On the second point however, there is some logic to that, I will admit. But I'm trying to get away from specialization games such as visual novels and music games. Those games are art in their own respect.
However for games that offer both story, gameplay and music in relatively high doses, but are unbalanced (such as RPG's, Action games and some Beat'em ups) I think there needs to be more of a balance.
Visual novels arn't really trying to have great gameplay, they knowingly focus on visual and music. Music and rythem games knowingly understand that they will have a rather unattractive story, but its made up in the gameplay section.
But for games that try to have all of it, then balance needs to be applied to make it gaming art.

BloodcatNS:
Didja play Flower? Yeah. The story is poetic. Almost nonexistent, really. But it's still there. Despite that, the graphics and gameplay are top-notch.

Mr.PowPow:
Well in summary I will accept Jonez's point that other games that specialize in certain things, can be gaming art in their own respect. Given that they excel in their specialization.

But for games that try to excel in absolutely everything (which is a common trait for RPG's) then I believe that everything needs to be equal, otherwise the aspects of the game will be all fighting for dominance and it will ruin the flow of the game. Not noticeably, but you won't walk away with the feeling of "Hey, that game is like.....amazing...truly amazing".

dark 5FVD:
ofcourse it is an art. Not everybody nows how to make a decent game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version